More threads by forgetmenot

My daughter was yet again put on anothr med for her psychosis. She is on serquel 600mg epival and soloft now resperidone as her voices are coming more at night time telling her to do things and she is scared she will harm herself again. my question is why so many dam meds she is also on revia to decrease her desire for subtance abuse and alcohol She is on way too many meds and has gained weight ((Edit: potential trigger)) She wants to get off these meds but when she tries to decrease them she becomes more unstable WE questioned the doctor and he response was she needs them despite the weight gain. Are there not medication out there that does not increase her appetite that she can try
She is 20 yrs old and ((Edit: potential triggers)) she is not comfortable at all in this body let alone a mind that is not well
Wishing i could be more supportive of her but really i do not know psychiatric medication tht well i work on medical floor Being a male doctor i don't think he understands how devastating this is for her.

Last edited by a moderator:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
My daughter was yet again put on anothr med for her psychosis. She is on serquel 600 mg epival and Zoloft now risperidone as her voices are coming more at night time telling her to do things and she is scared she will harm herself again. my question is why so many dam meds she is also on revia to decrease her desire for subtance abuse and alcohol She is on way too many meds and has gained weight ((Edit: potential trigger)) She wants to get off these meds but when she tries to decrease them she becomes more unstable We questioned the doctor and he response was she needs them despite the weight gain.

You've provided the answer to your question yourself: "when she tries to decrease them she becomes more unstable" and "We questioned the doctor and his response was she needs them despite the weight gain".

I understand she needs medication, but there has to be something out there that does not increase her appetite. Maybe if she gets going to CAMH the doctors there can help her. I am afraid too that she will become diabetic like my brother. I really feel she does not need all these meds one medication to take voices away should be enough hopefully CAMH doctor will see this too.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
i understand she needs medication but there has to be something out there that does not increase her appetite maybe if she gets going to camh the doctors there can help her. I am afraid too that she will become diabetic like my brother. I really feel she does not need all these meds one medication to take voices away should be enough hopefully CAMH doctor will see this too.

This is a matter for her physicians to decide, not you or I or anyone else at Psychlinks. If one medication were sufficient, I assume that her doctors would have her on one medication. But from your post, she is currently taking:

• Zoloft - an anti-depressant, anti-anxiety agent.
  • Epival -s a mood stabilizer.
  • Risperidone - an antipsychotic.
The medications serve different purposes, i.e., they treat different symptoms.

Thanks Dr. Baxter I guess my anxieties about medications come into play here. I definetly will talk again with daughters Doctor again. I can see now they are for different reasons and hopefully when her voices are gone she won't need anxiety meds but that will be for her Doctor to decide.

thanks Mary

Hi Mary ,
This is a matter for her physicians to decide, not you or I or anyone else at Psychlinks. If one medication were sufficient, I assume that her doctors would have her on one medication.

I agree a 100% with Dr Baxter .
The meds take time to stabilize a patient , and certainly even if your daughter needs to take them over a period of time , it is for her physicians to decide the dosage and the length of time she needs to take them .
As a nurse I know you know how important it is to take meds for the prescribed periods , if she was taking anti biotics you wouldn't question the need or the dosage even if the antibiotics upset her tummy temporarily .
It is exactly the same for the meds you mentioned .

best wishes wp

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Your daughters Family Physician should know what meds your daughter is on.

My doctor checks me yearly for signs of diabedes etc.

I would be concerned for her current situation at this point. Not the "but what if's" It is important at this point that your daughter get treatment for her psychiatric state and be stabilized.

Mary, I was on the same medications for similar reasons. When I decreased them, I got worse. What helped me with the weight gain was exercise - even just walking and keeping my carbs low. I know diabetes is a potential issue, from my own experience, but I have chosen what for me is to be mentally stable.

Best of luck to you.

TG

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.