More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Tourette's syndrome: 400 genetic mutations found
By Ana Sandoiu, MedicalNewsToday.com
October 5, 2018

New research has brought us much closer to understanding the genetic roots and neurodevelopmental causes of Tourette's syndrome.

cache.php

A new study examines the DNA mutations that may interfere with brain development in Tourette's syndrome.

In the United States, about 200,000 individuals now live with Tourette's syndrome in its most severe form.

The neuropsychiatric condition is characterized by involuntary and repetitive movements or sounds called tics.

We do not yet know the precise cause of Tourette's syndrome. However, researchers have linked it with abnormal development of certain brain areas, including the basal ganglia, the frontal lobes, and the cortex.

Also, brain networks that connect these regions — along with neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin — have also been linked to the condition.

Now, researchers bring new insights into what might disrupt the brain development in Tourette's syndrome, and they have published their findings in the journal Cell Reports.

Sheng Wang, who is affiliated with the National Institute of Biological Sciences in Beijing, China, and the Department of Psychiatry at the University of California in San Francisco, is the recent paper's first author.

Studying the genes involved in Tourette's
Wang and his colleagues worked on the largest genetic study of Tourette's syndrome: the Tourette International Collaborative Genetics (TIC Genetics) study.

"Through the initial families who participated, we were able to collect samples and data to start the study and establish the first sharing repository for researchers from all over the world interested in studying Tourette syndrome," reports study co-author Gary Heiman, an associate professor in the Department of Genetics at Rutgers University–New Brunswick in New Jersey.

GaryQ

MVP
Too bad none of these genetic mutations I have aren't the X-Men mutant type.

Every day I learn something new about how messed up my brain is having TS+ And for those not aware about Tourette Syndrome the physical and vocal tics are the least of the problems. The brain being wired differently than a "neurotypical" causes many other issues in the way things are perceived, analyzed and processed. And the really fun part about Tourette is it rarely lives alone. (ADHD, OCD, Neurological Storms <AKA Rage disorder> and the list goes on.)

As Steve once mentioned to me "Gary, You're discovering that our tics are the least of out problems"

GaryQ

MVP
Oh no argument on the progress made. It’s great news.

But 400 “identified” genetic mutations! That’s a whole lot of defects for one neuropsychiatric disorder! Not forgetting the fact that that’s only the “identified” ones so far...
Not so cool to find out when you’re standing on this side of the genetic mutations. :coffee:

Starting to wonder if life wasn’t simpler when people (including myself) just thought I was crazy and sketchy and hyper etc :facepalm:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's on the same order as the research into the genetic bases of autism or schizophrenia, though, and in all likelihood other disorders are probably similar.

If all it was just an issue with one or two chromosomes, it would be a lot more frequent.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
And -- in theory -- research results (including those that have not translated yet into treatment) can help one be more self-compassionate/accepting and avoid self-stigmatization, etc. With OCD research, it's also a reminder for me that I have to work on my mental health daily/habitually.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.