More threads by AmZ

AmZ

Is it possible for someone to 'develop' Tourette's from having OCD? Or say that did happen to someone, it would just be a coincidence?

Tourette's normally starts in childhood, no? Can it come about later on in life and if so, what exactly can/does bring it on?

Thx.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
As far as I know, Tourette Syndrome does not develop from OCD per se but people with Tourette do often show OCD traits or tendencies and many do also have full blown OCD.

Thus it's possible to have one, the other, or both. You would need to see a qualified mental health professional for diagnosis.

AmZ

Thanks Dr.

Was just wondering about it and if there was any connection... Not going to start thinking I have Tourette's now!

Have just been a bit twitchy but can attribute that to anxiety and OCD as it's often something done more than once also. It doesn't start off as an urge (like the OCD things in the past have done) and isn't my normal counting thing with the OCD but something else. For example, twitching/lifting my head up in the air.. And then I have an urge to do it again. But have only had this the last couple of days. Anyway, the OCD thing has been worse in other ways also, like can't stop shaking my legs when sitting down (plus the physical anxiety again like the bad stomach the last 2 mornings) so it's 99% most likely just that expanding out and being worse in other ways. Just a bit differently than before.

AmZ

For people with OCD, it's also very important to be aware of the medical student syndrome.

medical student disorder is a condition frequently reported in medical students, who perceive themselves or others to be experiencing the symptoms of the disease(s) they are studying.

LOL, I never thought of myself as being a medical student, but I sure have learned a lot over the last few weeks so yeah, haha, I'd better be careful.

AmZ

It also affects psychology students and people who read about mental illness or mental health issues.

Hehe, oh, don't you worry - I didn't mean that literally... Please excuse my silly sense of humor :p

Well, I still regret not being the 'academic type' and studying... So maybe a phD in Psychology would be good for both covering that angle, and then I can self-diagnose myself also, as I still have no psychologist of my own anyway!

(Again, please excuse my silly sense of humor)
(I originally know and understand AND agree with where you were coming from!)

Retired

Is it possible ....to 'develop' Tourette's from having OCD?

Tourette Syndrome is not an illness that can be contracted from another person, nor does it evolve from some other disorder or illness. Tourette Syndrome is a genetic neurological disorder, and people who develop its symptoms of vocal and motor tics are born with the disorder. Tourette is a genetic hard wire error within the structure of the brain.

As David alluded to, people with Tourette might also show symptoms of OCD, and/or ADHD as well as anxiety and even depression, which is why it is a syndrome, or a combination of symptomatology with a very protocol for a diagnosis. That protocol requires motor and vocal tics to have begun at a very young age and continued through at least some the adolescent years.

There have been rare cases of what is thought to be Tourette starting later in life, but there is disagreement as to whether late onset Tourette is a valid diagnosis.

However it is not unusual for people to develop tic or movement disorders during the course of their lives, and these are caused by other factors such as various illnesses and or medications; so if this becomes an concern, a neurologist should be consulted.

As I said earlier I am not a health professional, and I would not speculate on the cause for your movements.

Based on the information you have provided, there has been nothing so far to suggest you might have Tourette.

As a nonprofessional anecdotal attempt to give you some guidance on your question, have you ever, during your childhood and adolescent years had uncontrollable involuntary muscle movements such as arm swinging, turning, exaggerated blinking eyes, twisting or jumping, along with involuntary vocalizations such as cough, clearing your throat, repeating what others say, calling out specific words or phrases continually, or making specific sound over and over?

We must be clear that this is not an attempt at diagnosing, but simply a question that might help determine if you should considerr to pursue a diagnosis for Tourette from a qualified health professional.

AmZ

Thanks for the reply Steve.

As a nonprofessional anecdotal attempt to give you some guidance on your question, have you ever, during your childhood and adolescent years had uncontrollable involuntary muscle movements such as arm swinging, turning, exaggerated blinking eyes, twisting or jumping, along with involuntary vocalizations such as cough, clearing your throat, repeating what others say, calling out specific words or phrases continually, or making specific sound over and over?

I didn't have a bad childhood, but seem to have blocked out a lot for whatever reason, so I had to think hard about this one. Pretty sure all of those things can be ruled out.. I've just had the OCD hand counting for 10 years or so (since I was 15) and maybe a couple of other things like restless legs and shaking them, but definitely nothing verbal or the other physical things you described.

However it is not unusual for people to develop tic or movement disorders during the course of their lives, and these are caused by other factors such as various illnesses and or medications; so if this becomes an concern, a neurologist should be consulted.

Yeah, I think it's more of a nervous-twitch type thing that's been happening to me. If I'm feeling nervous or anxious and there is no other way at the time to release those feelings, then this can happen. Either that or the OCD/intrusive thoughts. Back to those bus journeys again (!) for example... If I am sitting there feeling like I have a lot of pent up anxiety and racing thoughts at the time, it also feels like some kind of extra adrenaline that I need to release, and then that goes in to something physical (because there is no other way) to release it. I just don't know why before, all I'd do is just do some counting with my fingers or something similar like tapping my teeth together, but the last few days, it's more like involuntary movements that I don't 'plan'. Maybe it's just because I've been feeling more anxious and therefore am just more 'heightened' both in the physical OCD and thoughts in my mind? I can't really explain it fully, but that is the gist of it.

Retired

I just don't know why before, all I'd do is just do some counting with my fingers or something similar like tapping my teeth together, but the last few days, it's more like involuntary movements that I don't 'plan'.

This subject would be worthwhile bringing up with your psychiatrist who may see a connection to the compulsive behaviour you've described.

Even among people with Tourette, distinctions are often made between the tics that are associated with Tourette and the compulsions that are associated with possible co-morbid OCD within that population.

AmZ

Thanks Steve, I will definitely do this when I meet with him next.

I'll mention about the involuntary movements to him and anyway, need to tell him that since I met with him last (a couple of weeks ago already), the OCD has been worse and different. I haven't actually been doing the counting like I normally do, or at least, it's been a lot less, I've mostly just been doing things repetitively and 'faster' than I normally do. Kind of difficult to explain. For example, touching my 4 fingers down on the palm of my hand once, then just my middle finger, then all fingers, then just my middle finger, etc etc... But doing it very fast and for a couple of minutes and not counting how much each is 'worth'. In the last 10 years of having this, I've never done the OCD thing without counting.

About the Effexor - Is a side effect that you can have muscle spasms? I only say this because every time I am falling asleep each night, I always have some form of muscle spasms once/twice and wondered the reason for this. Maybe it's not connected to the medication. Like, both of my arms will spasm/big twitch or both legs. It only happens when I am falling asleep and not fully awake, but then it wakes me up again fully because of it.

Thx.

Retired

Is a side effect that you can have muscle spasms?

Because that kind of determination has to be made by the doctor familiar with your medical history, your best course of action would be to report this at your next appointment.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.