More threads by HA

HA

Treating People With Experience Of Mental Illness?
Tuesday, 17 July 2007, 3:47 pm
Press Release: Mental Health Foundation
17 July 2007

How Do You Treat People With Experience Of Mental Illness?

A new phase of the well known Like Minds, Like Mine campaign has begun with a brand new set of TV ads that demonstrate how you behave towards people with experience of mental illness can make a difference.

Now in its tenth year, the Ministry of Health's Like Minds, Like Mine campaign, which is coordinated nationally by the Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand, has moved from raising awareness and understanding of issues faced by people with mental illness, to begin challenging friends, whanau, families and employers to move towards more inclusive and less discriminatory behaviour - a key component in the recovery for people with experience of mental illness.

The new ads feature Aubrey in family, work and social settings talking about his experience of mental illness, and also incorporate the views of his partner, friends and an employer.

Judi Clements, Chief Executive of the Mental Health Foundation said:

"These ads are part of a nationwide programme to reduce stigma and discrimination towards people with experience of mental illness.

"We've reached a stage where we need to encourage the behaviour of people like Aubrey's friends, family and employer who are supporting someone they love and respect. This challenges each of us to think about how changing our own behaviour can reduce discrimination and ensure that people with experience of mental illness can lead full and satisfying lives."

Research undertaken by the Mental Health Foundation has highlighted the fact that the biggest barrier to recovery is discrimination.

The ads are supported by a range of national and regional initiatives including training and workshops, working with the media to improve reporting of mental health issues, policy development, health promotion, research and community activities. For more information about Like Minds, Like Mine visit www.likeminds.org.nz

Aubrey talks openly about his experience of mental illness and the ways in which his family, friends and an employer have supported him

ENDS

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.