More threads by Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

Since I was diagnosed with severe clinical depression in 1991, I have been on Prozac twice, Zoloft, Xanax, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Lexapro, Viibryd and more I can't even remember. Right now I'm on 80mg daily of the Viibryd and 150mg of Lamical. It worked well at first but after only 6 months, its not working.

I know everyone is different with meds but I'm at a loss as to what to try anymore. My doctor will give me any one I choose or will recommend one but so far, I seem to have been almost all of them.

I don't want to take any that make me gain weight because then it makes the depression even worse.

I'm contemplating taking the Effexor again but the side effects/withdrawals are hell. I was on it for about 8 years doing quite well until it just didn't help anymore.

Any suggestions on meds or maybe adding another meds to what I'm already taking?

I'm at one of the lowest points I've been at. I only want to sleep to escape. I have no desire to do anything productive even though when I do, I feel pretty good about it. It takes all I can muster to even take a shower.

Any suggestions?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Since I was diagnosed with severe clinical depression in 1991, I have been on Prozac twice, Zoloft, Xanax, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Lexapro, Viibryd and more I can't even remember. Right now I'm on 80mg daily of the Viibryd and 150mg of Lamictal. It worked well at first but after only 6 months, its not working.

I know everyone is different with meds but I'm at a loss as to what to try anymore. My doctor will give me any one I choose or will recommend one but so far, I seem to have been almost all of them.

I don't want to take any that make me gain weight because then it makes the depression even worse.

I'm contemplating taking the Effexor again but the side effects/withdrawals are hell. I was on it for about 8 years doing quite well until it just didn't help anymore.

What side effects did you experience while you were taking the Effexor?

The closest medications to Effexor (which is an SNRI) are:

• Duloxetine (Cymbalta)
  • Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq)

One of those might be worth trying if Effexor (Venlafaxine) worked well for you previously. Of the two, Pristiq is more similar to Effexor.

Retired

Effexor again but the side effects/withdrawals are hell.

Effexor is classified as having a short half life, which means if you were taking the original form, not the XR or extended release tablet, you would have been taking the medication twice a day, to maintain the required blood levels.

There are important pharmacological reasons as to why this is considered an advantage over longer acting medications by doctors who prescribe it, but as with any medication, there are important instructions that need to be followed in how the medication is taken.

One of those instructions has to do with tapering the dose on discontinuation, to avoid a sudden drop in blood levels that can cause unpleasant side effects in some people.

Tell your doctor about your previous experience, so that a similar situation can be avoided if the doctor prescribes another similar, short half life medication.

When you stopped taking Effexor, was it recommended that you gradually taper the dose over several weeks rather than stopping cold turkey?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.