More threads by stargazer

stargazer

I sort of flubbed up. It looked as though there were more capsules in the bottle before I finally counted them and realized I was overdue in phoning the other County to arrange for the refill. Then, since I had to get a friend of mine to sign for them in order for them to be mailed to my address in a different County, I was dependent on his schedule in order to receive my meds. As a result, I've been without meds since Friday -- five days now. I had hoped he'd have gotten to the clinic on Monday, so that they would be in today's mail. However, I have now learned that he didn't get there till today. So they won't be here till this Friday, or possibly even Saturday.

I started "feeling it" yesterday -- or at least I think I did. Does anyone know how long someone can go without taking 2000mg of depakote a day before withdrawals kick in? On Saturday I have to teach a bunch of music to 35 high school kids, it being the first rehearsal of the season. That's nerve-provoking enough without having to worry about being without meds.

I contacted local Mental Health, where I had earlier called but had not yet gotten a call back (regarding transferring my services from one County to the other) and they said someone on their Access Team would call me today after 1pm. She marked it "urgent."

I'm not mad at anyone, by the way. People get busy. I know my friend did his best, and he's doing me a favor. I'm a little mad at myself for mis-interpreting the amount of pills that were left in the bottle. But I've had a lot on my mind lately, starting a new job, and having moved to a new town.

My boss told me at least 5 times yesterday that I was speeding up the tempos of the music. Also, I spaced out quite a bit. I feel OK today -- but that's because it's my day off. Not sure how I'd do on the piano.

ladylore

Account Closed
Hi Stargazer,

I can't help you with medication side effects part of your question, but it might be an idea to purchase a daily pill organizer so you know when you are running low.

Take care

Ladylore

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You might also take your prescription bottle to a local pharmacy - they might give you a few doses to tide you over. I know that most pharmacies up here will do that if they know you have a prescription for something that shouldn't be discontinued suddenly.

stargazer

That sounds like a good idea, David. Unfortunately, I didn't get much support from the clinician who returned my call from County Mental Health in this County. He seemed to misunderstand my situation. It was quite a while on the phone before I sensed that he discerned that I was someone who already knew the importance of taking medication on schedule, and that this was the first time I had gone without my meds for as long as five days. I guess the System gets a lot of people who are cavalier or careless about their medication. But I'm not that sort of person, and I'm surprised he didn't ask me what my situation was before making assumptions and lecturing me accordingly.

It also ran up a lot of minutes on my cell phone. I ought to have been more assertive.

I did receive some valuable information, however. Apparently it is not permissible for the County to give out meds until my California State Health Benefits have been transferred from the Old County to the New County. Had I been more assertive, I might have been able to persuade him to call my doctor and have the doctor in the Old County give consent for them to dish out a temporary supply. But the impression I got from the clinician was that if I were to show up at County Mental Health, I would have so many hoops to jump before I'd ever get the meds, that there has to be an easier, quicker way.

He also informed me that even if I were to begin the meds again today or tomorrow, I probably will not feel the benefits of their effects as early as Saturday, when rehearsals for the Opera begin and I have to provide musical direction for a group of 35 teenagers. Apparently, I've gone without depakote long enough that my body might have some catching up to do.

That said, I hit the hay at 10pm last night and the next thing I knew it was 5am. I feel completely normal. So perhaps if I just hang on till tomorrow and take the meds when, hopefully, they arrive in the mail, it might be my best bet.

(Not sure if I clarified that my friend did send my month's supply from the Old County in yesterday morning's mail. The mail generally takes two days to get here to the New County.)

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Apparently it is not permissible for the County to give out meds until my California State Health Benefits have been transferred from the Old County to the New County.

Has this process been started? If not, this would probably be a good time to try to get it started.

stargazer

Has this process been started? If not, this would probably be a good time to try to get it started.

This is somewhat complex, but I'll try to explain it, the way he explained it to me. Since my California State Health Benefits are based solely on my having received disability, and since I received the disability solely on the basis of a mental health condition, and since I have already been in therapy in another County for three years (technically speaking), the only way to get the California State Health Benefits transferred to the New County is to show up at County Mental Health with a full month's prescription of my current medication.

I told him I could probably do that tomorrow when I get my meds, and he said he wouldn't be there. I then asked if he needed to be there, and he said "no," but that he would have to tell someone else my story. I got off the phone not sure he knew my story, but definitely not caring whether he would be there or not.

Also, my case in the Old County is still open for one year. So I have the safety net in the interim of my friend being able to sign for the meds and mail them to me every month. He and I just have to co-ordinate it so that I don't run out of meds in the process. (I also have therapy benefits throughout the year, should I make a trip back to that County, or even thru telephone and email.)

Last edited:

stargazer

I've practically had to put my entire resume on rental applications sometimes. (Not to mention fingerprint check and signed release for medical records.) ;)

Seriously though, the clinician from the Old County just returned my phone call of yesterday and told me that that my California State Health Benefits card should enable me to get a prescription of depakote transferred from the Old County pharmacy to any pharmacy in California free of charge. That completely contradicts what the fellow told me yesterday, so I'm somewhat confused.

If she's right, however, it will free me & my friend of having to co-ordinate our schedules and of money for postage, etc. (which amounts to about $5 USD each time he sends them).

stargazer

Things have gotten significantly worse, and I am totally confused. I am going to move over to my thread in the Members Only forum, and speak a little more freely.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.