More threads by foghlaim

foghlaim

1. Biggest prob!!!
when i have logged out.. turned off p.c.. or just reading elsewhere... etc..

i find i do not have to log in here again as i'm already logged in???????
it's like i never logged out!! but i did... first few times i thought that maybe i only thought i had logged out...and not actually did it... but last night i made sure to log off and this am the same... yet both times I come back and i'm already logged on..

even clearing cookies, temp files.. doesn't seem to be stopping this from happening. I clear the history of sites visited all the time.. so that i have to type the address of this forum in each time i want to come on..
i've run a virus checker.. and a reg fix... i just cant' figure it out!!! why i'm logged on without having to log in.. .. even when i log out and the msg comes up that i have logged out!!..

how is this happening??
Is it a new feature i'm not aware of??? if so how can i turn it off??
i don't to be automatically logged in for obvious reasons... (i'm not the only one who uses this p.c.)

2.. annoying prob...
I have to refresh all the pages I view as they come up without the new msgs\posts on them... even tho in the New Posts i can see that these have been updated...

is this my p.c playing up on me.. or is it the forum software?

or maybe i'm just losing it finally....lol

either way... help is need to sort this out. Please!!!!!!!!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
1. Biggest prob!!!
when i have logged out.. turned off p.c.. or just reading elsewhere... etc..

i find i do not have to log in here again as i'm already logged in???????
it's like i never logged out!! but i did... first few times i thought that maybe i only thought i had logged out...and not actually did it... but last night i made sure to log off and this am the same... yet both times I come back and i'm already logged on..

even clearing cookies, temp files.. doesn't seem to be stopping this from happening. I clear the history of sites visited all the time.. so that i have to type the address of this forum in each time i want to come on..

i've run a virus checker.. and a reg fix... i just cant' figure it out!!! why i'm logged on without having to log in.. .. even when i log out and the msg comes up that i have logged out!!..

how is this happening?? Is it a new feature i'm not aware of??? if so how can i turn it off?? i don't to be automatically logged in for obvious reasons... (i'm not the only one who uses this p.c.)

I don't know of any way that would happen. When I manually log out (which is infrequent), I need to enter my login information and click "Remember me" again.

I suggest you change your password.

2.. annoying prob...

I have to refresh all the pages I view as they come up without the new msgs\posts on them... even tho in the New Posts i can see that these have been updated...

is this my p.c playing up on me.. or is it the forum software?

or maybe i'm just losing it finally....lol

either way... help is need to sort this out. Please!!!!!!!!

That's usually a problem with either your ISP caching pages or your browser. What browser and what version of the browser are you using? Are you using a dial-up accelerator?

foghlaim

thanks david.. will change my password and see if this corrects the prob..

I use internet explorer V.6.0.29, update ver sp2.

my comp is slowing down of late tho.. (whether i am online or not) the boot up take a good bit longer than before.. the registry scans i did.. showed a lot of links to files that no longer exist.. but as with most of these programs.. they didn't fix these (unless u upgrade & purchase the full program) .. too many for me to do..
i'm still searching (the internet) for one that will sort it out for me for free..

foghlaim

thanks david... i have downloaded and run the easycleaner... it got rid of the ones it found..:)

using the same program i was able to see what other files are on this comp and and go directly to the folder and delete those that are no longer or never have been used. Cool Program..:) :)

gonna use the comp for a day or 2 now before defrag... incase i need any of those files..

thanks for the link.. saved me oceans of time searching and trying to decide which one.. :)

Retired

freeware registry cleaner and it will get rid of those errant entries for you

Isn't it risky to delete registry entries without fully understanding the significance of the entry?

How can one be sure the entries being deleted won't cause programs to fail?

FYI: I dnloaded and installed EasyCleaner and let it scan my registries but I don't feel confident to hit the "delete" button. :panic:

foghlaim

the easycleaner, creates an undo file... so that if something doesn't work properly afterward.. you can put those files back.. I still have mine saved just incase...:)

Retired

If registry entries become corrupted or missing as could be the case in registry cleaning, does Windows have to be restored in Safe Mode?

My chief concern is because after using Norton Registry Cleanup on another system, there were unexpected results.

My general principle is not to delete something unless I know the result, and I don't have a clear enough understanding of registry settings to feel confident.

Windows XP rollback feature

I've had mixed results with windows Restore. Some data is not really restored and program updates or definition updates are not only overlooked, but programs might fail to operate unless re-installation is done.

IMO Windows restore has limited value. I believe third party restoration programs perform more effectively, but are hogs for using hard disk space.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
If registry entries become corrupted or missing as could be the case in registry cleaning, does Windows have to be restored in Safe Mode?

No. That shouldn't be necessary.

My chief concern is because after using Norton Registry Cleanup on another system, there were unexpected results.

I've also lost faith in all Norton products. There was a time when they could be fully trusted but that was before Norton sold them to Symantec.

My general principle is not to delete something unless I know the result, and I don't have a clear enough understanding of registry settings to feel confident.

That's whay a backup or an undo file is essential.

I've had mixed results with windows Restore. Some data is not really restored and program updates or definition updates are not only overlooked, but programs might fail to operate unless re-installation is done.

IMO Windows restore has limited value. I believe third party restoration programs perform more effectively, but are hogs for using hard disk space.

It's important to understand that thye primary value of Windows Restore is to restorfe the REGISTRY values. It does not restore all deleted files and, yes. any programs or updates installed after the restore point will need to be reinstalled.

But in the case of registry cleaning, I would think the combination of an undo point and System Restore you should be okay.

foghlaim

I've just uninstalled Norton.. rebooted and my pc seems to be booting up a fair bit faster than usual. i've installed avg and it updates itself every day.. (bit annoying really but i can live withit.. i think.. :))

David: I'm thinking it's safe now to delete those reg files I saved as well, can I or will I hang onto them a bit longer?? all seems to be okay since I got rid of them so to speak.

:)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Once you're convinced everything is working well, you can delete them. I usually hang on to them for about a month or so just in case - they're small files so it's not like they're a huge disk space problem.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.