More threads by HotthenCold

HotthenCold

Howdy chums,

I've recently watched a peta video on why they believe meat is wrong and i can't help by sympathize with pretty much all of what they have to say. I'm considering vegetarianism, and possibly veganism, but the idea terrifies me, as I am an avid meat eater and a burger is pretty much a weekly necessity.Basically, I don't want to eat any food that required any animal to go through the nightmarish scenes that play out en masse in the flesh manufacturing industry.veganism seems a lot easier and tastier than it gets credit for, but I have a lot of questions about it, such as; can you really get all the protein you need with this type of diet? if so, does it mean you have to eat massive quantities of nuts or similar foods? I am quite fit and I want to maintain my current level of muscle. How does one talk to close minded people who feel judged and offended when someone tells them they are vegan? The notion that eating meat is a sign of great masculinity and therefore worth as a man is annoying (I'm a male), and arbitrary, but also extremely pervasive. I suppose this last question is something I could deal with when the time comes, but I know that eventually I'll have to put up with some jackasses insulting attitude toward my choice, and I will feel rage at their stupidity, arrogance, rudeness, petiness, completely blind conformity to arbitrary and stupid social norms, etc etc.....
any input from the veg crowd would be greatly appreciated!

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Basically, I don't want to eat any food that required any animal to go through the nightmarish scenes that play out en masse in the flesh manufacturing industry.

I'm a vegetarian, but I would point out that it's becoming trendy now to buy meat that has been raised the old fashioned way, a.k.a. "cruelty-free meat" being sold in the U.S. at Whole Foods supermarkets:

'Ethical omnivores' want meat from cruelty-free environments

What I was always worried about were the chickens :) I used to be a vegan, but I compromise now and buy eggs marked "cage free." For me, the ideal is "free range" eggs, which I am able to get locally once in a while.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.