More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Study: Wedded parents not as key as stability for kids
By Erin Dostal
The Columbus Dispatch

September 19, 2009

Stability, not marital status, is what matters in raising a successful child, according to a study at Ohio State University. Claire Kamp Dush, an assistant professor of human development and family science at OSU, found that children who grow up with a single mother were as likely to succeed socially and academically as those who grow up in married-couple homes, as long as the child had "family stability."

Family stability means having a mother who does not move in with or marry someone after the child is born.

"Kids like to know what to expect," Kamp Dush said. "A universal message is that we all need to be careful before we make those family structure transitions."

The study has implications for nontraditional families, such as gay couples with children, or kids living with relatives who are not their parents, she said.
clear.gif

Kamp Dush based her study on data from 4,910 mothers and 11,428 children who participated in the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth. Families were matched by economic status and race so that Kamp Dush could compare how children did with single mothers and married couples while controlling for other factors.

She found that there were no marked differences, except among black families. Black children living with a single mother had lower math and reading scores than those with married parents.

She also analyzed measures of behavioral problems and levels of cognitive stimulation and emotional support.

An official at a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit group that studies child development found the results surprising.

"Most (researchers) find differences between children in married couples and single-parent families," said Kristin Moore, a senior researcher for Child Trends. Money and the quality of education available to kids affect a child's chance of success, Moore said. But both of those factors are related to a stable home life.

"That whole package is really important for kids," she said. "Poverty is a real issue for single-parent families."

According to the 2007 American Community Survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau, 50 percent of children born to single mothers lived below the poverty level.

The number of single mothers who do not remarry or cohabit during the course of their child's life is very small. Because this study focuses on a very small portion of single families, it might not indicate a strong pattern, Moore said.

Dr. Paramjit Joshi, a child and adolescent psychologist at Children's National Medical Center in Washington, D.C., said that she's not surprised by the findings. Joshi said other factors are more important than the mother's marital status.

"It boils down to if the needs of the child are met," she said. "It's more challenging for a single parent to do it herself."

Kamp Dush published her findings in the book Marriage and Family: Perspectives and Complexities.

Children of a single mom who didn't marry or move in with a new man were as successful as those from married-couple homes, the researcher found.

Re: Study says: Wedded parents not as key as stability for kids

I really liked this article. - Thanks

I grew up with just me and my mom, no father and no siblings. My mom was working fulltime, and was very unpredictable. I also had many nannies until I was 12. Each nanny had a different way of doing things, so there was never a set/strict routine, there was no structure, no way to know what was coming or what to expect. I was forever having to change how I did things based on who my caregiver was.

In elementary school and junior high I was pretty troubled with paranoia, anixety, depression. I was a very un organized person, very messy, never did my homework etc etc.
It wasn't until highschool that I really figured out what I wanted and how to get there, I knew I wanted to do well in school and fix what was broken - I sought out someone through the school to help me with organization, structure etc etc. Once I had my own little routine, I stuck to it religiously. And now as a young adult I'm very structured, I like to know whats going on, whats going to happen, I like to plan things out, I'm very neat and organized etc etc.

So - I think had I have grown up with more stability, I probably wouldn't have struggled so much through the years leading up to highschool. I just needed someone to guide me until I could do it on my own. So - I don't think the number of parents matters, I think the stability is what matters for sure.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.