More threads by HA

HA

I'm wondering if others are going through the recent change with Wellbutrin to a generic form.

I've never experienced this before but just renewed my prescription and when I got home the drug was very different than my usual Wellbutrin and was listed as Bupropion by Sandoz.

I also just changed pharmacies and when I called them up the person I spoke with had some difficulty with English and understanding what I was asking about but after some time said what I had was correct.

I called my previous pharmacy and was told that, yes, this drug is now being produced as a generic and I could pay an extra $70.00 if I wanted the Wellbutrin. The pharamcist assured me that it is the exact same drug but only the fillers are different and if there is any reaction or change in how one feels it is a reaction to the fillers and this is not a common thing to occur.

I took my usual dose and later the same day I had an unusual chest pain that seemed more like a pain in my lungs. It was after a few hours of this that I started to think about why I was having this pain (not severe but very uncomfortable) that I thought about the new pills I took that morning.

The next day I used my old pills as I have a few days left but before I try these new pills again I want to see a picture of them. They have the letter E and the number 410 on them and when I tried to search through the Sandoz website I could not find even a written description. Does anyone know where I can find this brand information?

You would think the pharmacy would tell you about this kind of change when you pick up your prescription!

ThatLady

Dang it, HeartArt, my PDR is in my office! I'll try to get the information on the Sandoz bupropion for you tomorrow. The PDR will have a picture of the medication. I'll check it for you and get back as soon as I get home tomorrow evening.

ThatLady

Is the pill blue, HeartArt? If it is, and if it's marked with an E and 410, it's
Bupropion Sustained-Release Tablet 100mg Tab ER, which is generic Wellbutrin SR. That's from the Medical University of South Carolina's Website. :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I do wonder if the generic provides as sustained a release as Wellbutrin SR or XL. If not, it could increase the chance for side effects since buproprion without sustained/extended release has more side effects than Wellbutrin SR/XL.

Regarding chest pain as a side effect:

Chest pain during use of bupropion as an aid in smoking cessation.

AIMS: To investigate the cause of chest pain during the use of bupropion as an aid to stop smoking. METHODS: The Netherlands Pharmacovigilance Centre received 22 reports of chest pain, associated with the use of bupropion as an aid to smoking cessation. Additional information about long-term follow up was collected to analyze whether these complaints herald manifest cardiac disease. RESULTS: All but one patient recovered after withdrawal of bupropion. Seven patients were additionally investigated and in six of them, a cardiac cause could be excluded. During long-term follow-up, no coronary heart diseases were diagnosed. CONCLUSIONS: These reports indicate that chest pain seems to be associated with the use of bupropion, but its origin remains unclear.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=12968991&query_hl=4&itool=pubmed_docsum

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
There is evidence from research wioth several other drugs comparing brand names with generics that, despite government claims to the contrary, they are NOT equally effective - a good example of this is Luvox versus fluvoxamine in the treatment of OCD.

The Ontario government has decreed that pharmacists MUST by law fill the prescription with a generic, unless:

1. the physician specifies that only the brand name should be used; or

2. the customer specifies that they do NOT want the generic.

Banned

Banned
This is interesting...I am on Wellbutrin as well but my doctor always checks off "No generic substitute allowed". Because I've changed jobs I don't have insurance right now, but before I left I filled up for several months worth. The pharmacist told me ages ago that insurance will no longer cover the brand name, but so far all my claims have been processed, so maybe if your doctor says that no generic substitution is allowed, they will. I did not know that patients have a right to say they do not want the generic.

I'm willing to go generic on alot of things, but drugs aren't one of them. I'm just not trusting of them....

HA

Thank you, TLady for the info. Yes, they are blue and as you described so they must be the 100 mg of Slow Release bupropion.

Daniel, that's exactly what I was looking for. If chest pain was a common side effect. If it was the begninning of my drug trial I would wait it out but I have been through those beginning side effects and don't want to go through any again. I did not have chest pain though, just a low grade headache for a week or so and some trembling until we adjusted the dose.

Dr Baxter & BG....I took the bottle back to the pharmacy tonight and told her I did not want this brand. She said that chest pain is a common side effect of bupropion and I told her that I never had this in any time since I have taken it over a 2 yr period. I did not have the same effect when I took my regular Wellbutrin for the past two days and I just want what my doctor has already prescribed for me.

She mentioned the extra cost and I told her my insurance should cover what my doctor had prescribed. I asked her to call my doctor to get a confirmation that I can have my regular prescription of Wellbutrin. She is calling tomorrow so I should have them again. The pharmacist also said to tell my doctor to write on the next prescription, no substitutions.

I also buy generic ibuprophine and others and find them just as good, but, this is a different story. Sheesh!

You guys are great!

jimmy03

I have been taking wellbutrin SR and am now being told that I have to use the generic form and that it is exactly the same as the name brand. I have a hard time believing this. Approximately a year or so I did try the generic version and it did not work the same for me as the name brand. I have bipolar disorder and the generic version caused me to have mood swings. I am being told that this is a "fairly new" version and it will work exactly the same as the name brand. I am wondering how long this newer version has been around and if it is, in fact the same drug I had issues with - it looks the same from what I remember. The other reason I am concerned is because I am very sensitive to even slight differences in medication. When I tried the XR version of wellbutrin it also did not work for me. any information would be appreciated. thanks

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I had the problem with Prozac. I was taking the generic to start off with, it was Nova-Fluvoxatine then the pharmacy changed to Ratio-Fluvoxatine and within a month I was feeling awful, depressed, achy etc.

I went to my doctor and we were talking about it and we at first couldn't understand what happened. I didn't even think anything of the change in generic suppliers. The pharmacist told me they were molecturally identical.

Almost to the end of the converstation I said to my doctor "Ohh this is probably it!"

From then on, no matter what prescription I get for my depression, currently Effexor I get the doctor to write No Substitutions and my insurance will cover it that way, but it has to say that on the prescription.

I think if we started off on the generic, we wouldn't really feel it as that would be the "norm". But since we are on brand names for so long, when they change it is almost like changing medications completely.

I never chance it anymore with my psychiatiric meds.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
In many areas, you can ask your doctor to specify the brand name version of a medication on the prescription. Pharmacies will honor that (you may need to point out that it is the brand name version when filling the prescription). Insurance companies will also honor it although some will require a note from the physician.

I was taking Wellbutrin SR made by Sandoz till May when I got dose increased I was given another brand. It wasn't until a few months ago I realized that I was feeling worse since I had the dose increased. So I went to the pharmacy and asked them to give me the Sandoz version. Now I am back on the Sandoz version. I feel it has helped. So I have to make sure I get the Sandoz brand everytime.

Sue

Retired

From then on, no matter what prescription I get for my depression, currently Effexor I get the doctor to write No Substitutions

Although I think it is implied in your post, but to make sure you get the brand name drug, insist the doctor prescribe by writing the brand name of the medication.

You don't want the prescription to show the generic name.

IOW your Rx must show Effexor and not venlafaxine as an example.

Then on arriving at your pharmacist, tell your pharmacist that you want your file to show you do not accept generic substitutes, under no conditions.

Furthermore, insist your pharmacist shows the manufacturer's expiry date on your dispensed vial.

Some pharmacise, notably chains such as Pharmaprix, Jean Coutu and Shoppers concoct their own expiry date, which is designed to have the client come in sooner for a refill.

It's a self serving marketing ploy devised by the larger chains, and sppears to be legal...however as a client you have the right to insist on the manufacturer's expiry date.

KarenRB53

Does anyone know if the brand name Wellburin SR is available? I contacted Biovail which is the manufacturer in Canada and they replied that it would have to be the generic form is I wanted the SR version even though I was able to get the brand name XL version. Hope this makes sense.

Retired

Karen,

Did Biovail say they had stopped making Wellbutrin SR in Canada because it has now gone generic? Did they happen to mention if they were making a generic version themselves?

According to the Health Canada Drug Product Database SR is still shown as being a Biovail product, but the manufacturer may have ceased production.

What is your pharmacist told you about avialability? Sometimes your pharmacist can get what you want from another pharmacy stock or a different wholesaler if the manufacturer is out of stock.

Depending on your pharmacist and your relationship with the pharmacist, sometimes you have to really assert your preference for the brand name product, because sometimes they prefer to only stock generics.

If you feel your pharmacist is not being straightforward with you, check with other stores.

KarenRB53

Sorry, meant to respond sooner. In Canada, the 100 SR Wellbutrin is generic only. All the others are still brand name Welllbutrin. I got this information from Biovail and from my pharmacist. So, I stayed on the WellbutrinXL 150mg until I speak to my pdoc and decide what to do. I find the 150XL to be too stimulating so I'd rather take less however if the 100SR is generic I don't want to take that. I may try the immediate release. I also did not check if the SR comes in lower doses and if in fact they would be generic or brand. I'll be checking that out.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.