More threads by HA

HA

What a Difference a Friend Makes
(click on the title to go to the website)

Welcome! This site is here for people living with mental illness?and their friends. You'll find tools to help in the recovery process, and you can also learn about the different kinds of mental illnesses, read real-life stories about support and recovery, and interact with the video to see how friends can make all the difference.

How to help

If somebody told you he had diabetes, how would you react? If you're like most people, you'd express sympathy and concern, offer your support and reassurance, and feel confident that your friend's condition would improve with treatment. Now, if that same friend told you he had a mental illness, what would you do?

Too many people respond negatively when confronted with a friend's mental illness, and this only fuels the stigma surrounding the diagnosis. The reality is, mental illness is no different from physical illness. Conditions like depression, schizophrenia, and anxiety disorders affect a person's body. The emotional and psychological aspects of mental illness make supportive friends and family even more important to a person's recovery.

So, now you know you can help just by being there and offering your reassurance, companionship, emotional strength, and acceptance. You can make a difference just by understanding and helping your friend throughout the course of his or her illness and beyond. We're here to help you learn how.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
It's an interesting, interactive video that certainly gets the point across by modeling what should be done.

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
What a nice post. I was looking at some of the different forums. I wish I had more to contribute, Daniel, Dx Baxter and many others always seem to know what to say in the nicest ways.

I have been doing well myself, I have not posted for some time. I was seeing a therapist but stopped because I have my problems under control (OCD, I can finally admit that) at the moment and hopefully for the longer term as much as possible. Its been hard leaving therapy and I miss that support but he said I can go back when ever I need to. Do any of you feel its a bit scary when you have decided not to go to your counselor anymore? I feel like it created a dependent relationship in away although the advice I got was great and the support as well.

Anyway, I hope others find the forum as helpful as I did. There is so much stigma with mental disorders, its nice to have one place where you can be honest about it.

Retired

I was seeing a therapist but stopped because I have my problems under control

Thank you for sharing your success! It sounds like you have had an excellent therapist with whom you got along very well.

Good for you!

Do any of you feel its a bit scary when you have decided not to go to your counselor anymore?
when i finished it felt a bit scary and i suspect that's quite a normal reaction. after spending time with someone who helps you out of your crisis you do end up with a sense of security, knowing that there will be a next time to talk. so when there is no next time any more it does feel a little odd and unknown.

congratulations on finishing therapy :goodjob:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.