More threads by Andy

Andy

MVP
Brrrrrr. I seem to be having troubles getting anyone to take care of the lack of heat in my apartment. I had this problem before when it was -40/-50(wc) and I waited 5 days. I also face north so I get those lovely arctic winds.
I asked once and they sent someone over who did something in the boiler room. That turned the heat on enough to warm my register for a night, then it quit again. I asked again and the same thing happened except it stayed on like that. That still wasn't giving me much heat so I asked again and no one showed. Now, it is off again. It was -16 this morning. To top things off I am very cold blooded and always cold.

Does anyone know what I can do now? When asking about the heat I have talked to my landlord and also phoned the housing company I am with. I will be out of here for over a week shortly but I would love some ideas as to what could be my next step.

:canadian: Where's my toque and mitts....

Banned

Banned
Hey STP, sorry you're cold. Like you, I'm always cold and seem to need to be bundled up super warm all the time.

First off, document everything - all interactions with your landlord - when you call, what is said, what follow-up occurs, etc.

I don't know if it's legal or not (probably not) but if the situation gets really severe I would be inclined to withhold my rent until it gets rectified. If they need to wait on parts for the boiler or whatever, they can provide you with small space heaters to keep you warm.

I have the same problem at work - every winter there is one area of the building that doesn't get heat, and we call the landlord daily to try and get it. They get mad that I keep calling them, but I tell them I'm not running a business without heat and with frozen pipes. Finally towards the end of last winter they started doing stuff for me, because I told them that not only was I withholding my rent but I was also deducting my lost income from any future rent.

Anyway, document, and pester, and don't give up. And when you're faced with "we can't" ask them what they CAN do, and "nothing" is never acceptable. Also ask them if your pipes freeze while you're away who's responsible for any damage.

Jackie

STP,

In this country it is illegal in rented places to leave people without heat, and it would have to be repaired within one working day. Are there any housing advice places you could call, who could get onto the landlord and tell him to get it sorted out?

Also have a look in your tenancy agreement as to your rights regarding heating and repairs, you might have the right to get someone else out and charge it to the landlord, something else we can do here after a certain time period. Not sure if the rules are the same where you are! Hope this helps a bit:)

Andy

MVP
:cold: Thanks! I won't be able to do much today as it is a holiday. I will write everything down, unfortunately I don't have dates from before.
I live in low income housing so I don't think I would be able to call anyone to come in to fix it and charge it to the housing company.

Space heaters would be great! I would settle for a pit and some fire wood. I think I would be to scared to withhold my rent. I waited 2 years to get in with this housing company and if I was kicked with my disability I would only have rent money for a regular place so that kind of scares me.

Banned

Banned
Definitely don't do anything you're not comfortable with. I have a bit of a streak to me that comes out sometimes...and my anger is a little higher today, so I would probably do something I'd regret.

Trying to work with them is always the best solution. You might need to be quite firm with them so they understand the severity of the problem.

I hope you get heat soon! Another option is to get an electric blanket if you can and bundle up in it. I have a heated mattress pad so my bed is always stinkin' hot...that's another way of staying warm.

Andy

MVP
lol I have that streak too but it only comes out when I am off my meds. lol I think I will have to wait until I come back to get anything done. If I try to be firm then I just end up crying lol because I feel bad for being rude and then I don't sound very firm at all and it's back to square one. Maybe I can get my dad to call when I get back.
I thought maybe there was someone I could call that would give them heck and get them on it lol ya know, so I wouldn't have to be uncomfortable. lol

Ugh. Thanks :goodjob:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.