More threads by sunset

sunset

Not sure where to post this, but I think this is probably where it should go..

I had such a weird dream last night that woke me at 4:30am and I couldnt sleep the rest of the night, because the same dream kept wanting to repeat itself!
I was in an airport with my mother and sister, and I walked to where they were standing with all the luggage. I looked at my carry on bag, and it was all but empty. I asked my mother where my camera (very expensive camera) was and she said she packed it in the check in bag that was already gone.. I started screaming that I will never see that camera again now, and do you really expect it to be in the luggage when we get to the other end? She said nothing, but I kept screaming these words, and nobody was paying me any attention. I screamed till I had no voice left, then started crying, and asking why people thought so little about my stuff and whats important to me? I was quiet the whole trip, got to baggage, opened it, and no camera. I just left the luggage on the floor, and walked out. I quit my job, and moved 3000 miles away, and just cut everyone out of my life...

This dream really shook me for some reason, and it is still bothering me several hours later! Thank GOD I talk to my therapist tonight. He is always asking me about my dreams, and now I have one I remember, and can tell him about. Whats really scary is I put myself through the ringer when I am dreaming this, and I FEEL every emotion and feel like I was actually screaming and crying. (I wasnt)
What on earth do you all think this is about? Gosh, my poor mother in the dream. I feel quilty and its only a dream!!
Help!:confused:

Halo

I am probably the world's worst person to ask about dreams because to be honest I know that I do dream I just don't remember ANY of mine. I am happy to hear though that you have therapy tonight so maybe your therapist will be able to help you better understand it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help :( but if you do gain any insight from therapy, I am interested to hear it. I also hope that you are able to get a good night's rest after therapy :zzz: :zzz:

Take care
:hug: :hug:

sunset

No Problem Nancy. I will let you know what his take on it is. Very scary when you feel like you are living your bad dream.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
SO, any idea what this dream means?

Most dreams I have that are memorable aren't too meaningful to me. However, I did listen recently to an interview of Aaron Beck who said that when he analyzed the dreams of people with depression the commonality he found was that the dreamers portrayed themselves as being "losers." So he helped to develop CBT techniques as a way to have people see themselves in more realistic terms. I'm not saying that applies to your dream, but I thought it may be relevant.

sunset

Thanks Daniel. I am open to any and all responses... I certainly sound like a loser in this dream, dont I?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I certainly sound like a loser in this dream, dont I?

One aspect with dreams (and some movies) is that they may end rather abruptly, so we don't know what happens next, e.g. do you get a better job and more independence in a better city or become a world-class photographer with better friends once you get your camera back from American Airlines? So it's all interpretation. BTW, to clarify on Beck's terminology:

Aaron Beck: "What I did see in the dreams of depressed patients was certain themes in which they perceived themselves as losers. It turned out that, far from having a lot of hostility, the patients actually had a very negative self-image."

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/getArticle.cfm?id=1529

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Whats really scary is I put myself through the ringer when I am dreaming this, and I FEEL every emotion and feel like I was actually screaming and crying. (I wasnt)

Regarding nightmares:

A nightmare is a dream occurring during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep that brings out feelings of strong, inescapable fear, terror, distress, or extreme anxiety. They typically occur in the latter part of the night and usually awaken the sleeper, who is able to recall the content of the dream.

Nightmares tend to be more common among children and decrease in frequency toward adulthood. About 50% of adults experience occasional nightmares, women more often than men.

Eating just prior to going to bed, which raises the body's metabolism and brain activity, may cause nightmares to occur more often. Adults who experience repeated nightmares that become a significant problem should seek help.

Common Causes:

* anxiety or stress are the most common cause: a major life event precedes the onset of nightmares in 60% of cases
* illness with a fever
* death of a loved one (bereavement)
* adverse reaction to or side effect of a drug
* recent withdrawal from a drug such as sleeping pills
* effect of alcohol or excessive alcohol consumption
* abrupt alcohol withdrawal
* breathing disorder in sleep (sleep apnea)
* sleep disorders (narcolepsy, sleep terror disorder)

Home Care:

If you are under severe stress, you should seek out the support of friends and relatives. Talking about what is on your mind can really help. Also, following a regular energetic fitness routine, using aerobic exercise if possible, will help. You will find that you will be able to fall asleep faster, benefit from deeper sleep, and wake up feeling more refreshed. Learn techniques to reduce muscle tension (relaxation therapy), this will also help reduce your anxiety.

Practice good sleep hygiene. Avoid long-term use of tranquilizers, and avoid caffeine and other stimulants.

If you noticed that your nightmares started shortly after you began taking a new medication, contact your health care provider. He or she will advise you on how to discontinue that medication if necessary and recommend an alternative.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003209.htm

sunset

I don't think that you sound like a loser at all....to me you sound very hurt and scared (JMO)

One aspect with dreams (and some movies) is that they may end rather abruptly, so we don't know what happens next, e.g. do you get a better job and more independence in a better city or become a world-class photographer with better friends once you get your camera back from American Airlines? So it's all interpretation. BTW, to clarify on Beck's terminology:

I guess it could be worse. You could have said Jet Blue instead of American Airlines. LOL!:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Halo

Hey Sunset,

Did you get to speak to your therapist last night about your dream and what it may mean? Also, how did you sleep last night?

Thinking of you today
:hug:

sunset

Talked to my Dr last night on the phone...

To make a long story short, about the dream... I
am carrying baggage from childhood, and I need to take care of the little girl in me. The dream meant (Dr's opinion)that I am fearfull of losing something important or valuable(camera) to me. I was screaming (for attention) and plum wore myself out (losing my voice) and that I am being ignored (had to keep feelings surpressed as a kid).

He said I need to talk to this little girl and embrace her and be gentle when I get upset. I need to reassure her and tell her its ok, I will take care of you, and lets go get your camera...
I have to also stop negative self talk and he wants me to start a gratitude journal... So, I have some work to do on myself.
He said I am fearfull, hurt and afraid... Halo, I guess you saw that in my post because you said the same thing!

Halo

Sunset,

I think the reason that I saw the fearful, hurt and afraid little girl in your post was because I can relate to exactly what you wrote and it is pretty much where I am at also.

I need to talk to this little girl and embrace her and be gentle when I get upset. I need to reassure her and tell her its ok, I will take care of you

I have to also stop negative self talk

Sounds very familiar.
:hug:

sunset

Hi Halo.. You quoted me on a couple of things..Is that you too?

Airports offer transportion, are you being asked to go somewhere you don't want to go, or to start a new venture? New things seem to scare me. How do you feel about new situations? If this were my dream I would think...

This new venture of mine is scaring me and even though I've told other people it does, they don't hear me. They are offering no help, physically or emotionally. My lost camera would signify, to me, that my memories of what I had before the new venture would somehow become lost. That's just how I would see it, if I dreamt it myself.

sunset

I dont feel so alone now. Maybe I will bring my little girl over to meet your little girl. Maybe we can learn from the "kids".

Seriously though, Its nice to come to a place where we can actually open up and talk with other people who KNOW where you are coming from, AND not be attacked or put down for it.

sunset

Airports offer transportion, are you being asked to go somewhere you don't want to go, or to start a new venture? New things seem to scare me. How do you feel about new situations? If this were my dream I would think...

This new venture of mine is scaring me and even though I've told other people it does, they don't hear me. They are offering no help, physically or emotionally. My lost camera would signify, to me, that my memories of what I had before the new venture would somehow become lost. That's just how I would see it, if I dreamt it myself.

Makes a LOT of sense to me, except for the camera part I dont think would apply to me. I am NOT good with change, unless its something I want to do. Being forced out of a job, was a really bad thing for me, and I am still dealing with it. I am hoping to get a new job (should know pretty soon), so yeah, I am looking for a new venture. I am scared, but I need to do it, because I HATE (yes, its a strong word, but I feel it in this case) the place I am working at now. I think of walking out of here every day wishing never to come back.
Thanks for your take on my dream! :dimples:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.