More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Dysthymia is chronic mild depression, sort of Major Depression Jr.

Cyclothymia is like Bipolar Disorder Jr., with the highs not so high and the lows not so low.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Can this condition be entwined with locus of control behavior - depression?

I'm not certain what you're asking here, Laj. Typically, someone with cyclothymia will certainly go through periods of depression and some have theorized that depression itself may sometimes be linked to locus of control issues or perceptions (e.g., helplessness, powerlessness).

Laj

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. It's difficult to find any privacy here to respond sooner. Yes, I guess my question was a bit confused...my thought pattern lately. My husband seems to have this type of behavior i.e. locus of control. He actually frets thinking things out - so much so that it disturbs his sleep. He's fanatical if there is even one spot on his shirt, pants -that you can hardly see if there was one. Also, I feel because of this trait, whenever we have a disagreement, it is the "end of the marriage. I'm warning you, I can only take so much and that is it!!" he says. So it is very frustrating for me. I have to watch what I'm saying as he also cannot take criticism. He writes everything down. His personal area is strewn with all types of pieces of paper with notes on them. What to do, errands to run, thoughts he has on certain topics, things to look up, people to talk to etc. Little pieces of paper, very neat, tiny writing. He loves to play jokes on and teases people, he looks at old (80's - 90's years of age) as so adorable. He tells one lady every chance he gets "Love you" when they see each other and over the phone, etc. Is this an Oedipus (sp) thing. He has a high i.q. (130 or close) ...I don't know if that has anything to do with it but it seems he doesn't have any common sense especially while driving. He prides himself on his looks no, he is obsessed with the way he looks- when he was younger he was indeed quite breathtaking as the girls would say. They would stop him on the streets and tell him how handsome or cute he was. Sorry, David, I know I am rambling. I just need to get this out when I am able to have time away from him.

I know I need direction on how to cope with this. When it comes to his relationships with other people, I have to concur with his feelings about them or he labels me jealous and will not tolerate any other opinion. I've seen his rage and it does not fit the situation. He explodes for minor things.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think you are confusing locus of control (general orientation or belief that things that happen to you are not within your own control vs. things that happen to you are entirely within your control) with controlling personality or the need to control that occurs with OCD.

Certainly, it's hard to see this relationship as healthy for you in any way. What you describe does suggest elements of OCPD (Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder) and/or Narcissistic Personality Disorder - I am not attempting to diagnose him here but simply describing the described behaviors and personality traits in the context of your question.

There are also similarities to The Abusive Personality as described and documented by Dr. Don Dutton at the University of British Columbia.

Either way, the behaviors and traits you describe are generally highly resistant to change, in part because the individual himself sees little reason to change (i.e., in his view, it is you that needs to change, not him).

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.