More threads by WilliamCollins

Let me begin by saying, I have schizophrenia. And I've had this illness for over five years and have been medicated for the last three.

This is what I've learned about this illness:

Schizophrenia is a brain disease in which the affected person loses significant amounts of brain tissue in certain regions of the brain. The brain tissue loss starts ... the parietal cortex and moves like a wave over to the frontal lobe, destroying neurons and neuronal connections in it's path. During a memory task, the frontal lobe in schizophrenic patients was underactive and another part of the brain (the striatum) was overactive (the level of dopamine was abnormally increased). The meds lower the dopamine levels which relieves symptoms but does nothing for the brain tissue loss.

Brain tissue loss -> raised dopamine levels -> symptoms

I have a few questions:

1) Why is there so much brain tissue loss in people with schizophrenia?
2) Which regions of the brain do the meds work?
3) Does the brain tissue loss cause the frontal lobe to be underactive or is it vice versa?

Thank you for reading and I hope you can help me answer these questions. Also, if the info I provided isn't accurate, please let me know. Thanks again.

Kind regards,

William

Mari

MVP
I think those are interesting questions and there is certainly a great amount to read here on schizophrenia. I am not qualified to answer your questions but it is a lot to think about. I hope things are going well with you.

Hi William I see you are still asking lots of question that is good thing i guess but the answeres are not always easy ones why things happen the way they do I just know that with the newer meds the brain can function properly again That the medication can level out the chemicals and that one that was seized with the illness is not longer showing the signs anymore. As pdoc stated to someone i know you are thinking now and she is I see how medication can give ones life back to them and that the brain itself has be altered with the meds so it does not appear injuried at all. I wish i had all the answers for you but i think they are good questions for you doctor someone that knows best about schizophrenia It is nice to see you again

Greetings to you all.

I saw my psychiatrist today and he helped me understand this:

In people with schizophrenia, the dopamine levels are raised in the temporal lobe which is what causes (or what is believed to cause) positive symptoms. Meanwhile, serotonin levels are decreased in the frontal lobe which is what causes (or what is believed to cause) cognitive symptoms (which I suppose are also negative symptoms).

The antipsychotic meds (like Olanzapine) lower dopamine levels in the temporal lobe and raise serotonin levels in the frontal lobe, thereby effectively (for some) treating this illness.

I don't know if I understood all that correctly.

Anyway, what about the brain tissue loss? What causes it? To me, a theory of the brain over-pruning itself seems to explain it somewhat. But, then, what causes the brain to over-prune itself?

My life changed after developing schizophrenia and that's why I'd like to learn as much as I can about this illness.

Kind regards,

William

Hi again William you said your life has changed can you tell me now how you are doing on your medication. Have the medication brought you stability clarity of thought.
I just ask because i do see people with this illness go back to the life they once had a normal life so to speak one without all the confusion the voices are gone the distorted thoughts are gone. Now it they stop medication then all unravels again but that is the same will all illness that depends on meds to keep them stable.
How are you doing NOW hun better yes hugs

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.