More threads by haunting

haunting

Hello all. Sorry that I have not been on much. We have been busy, lots of things going on. I had to take my son to his appointment, which was out of town. We left yesterday and got home tonight. His test went well and they will call with an appointment to see his doctor and gets his results.

Before we left, we took the kids for a late lunch. But just after we arrived at this resturant, I got really sick. All of a sudden the room started spinning. Apparently my face went flushed and nobody could make out what I was trying to say. I was totally confused and could not speak properly. My body felt like it was going to flop over. My bf came and sat beside me and he thought I was going to pass out. It took about 5 minutes for this to pass but then pain hit me like a ton of bricks. My heart was beating so fast and I started getting chest pains. I felt completely drained.

So we left as soon as we could. My body felt like I had been in a car accident. My bf had reached over to put his sunglasses away and hit my leg by accident. I yelled as it felt like he had dug into a bruise. I felt so stupid and apologized. My left arm and right wrist feels the same. It feels like I have major bruising yet no marks are showing. Just feels like someone beat the heck out of me. I have no energy what-so-ever.

I don't understand what it was all about. Strange!!!

Haunting

Some of the symptoms sound like a possible panic attack but you shouldn't have that much physical pain from one. They are very short term in nature and you can't always recognize what triggered it unless you've had several. The physical pain part bothers me. I've had chest pains before from attack but the rest of by body was fine - although it felt very weak and shakey afterwards. You may want to talk to your doctor about it.

haunting

Ya, this is strange. When my potassium levels were really low, I was experiencing "black outs" and similar symtoms. But this pain is really getting worse. My heart rate through the evening has been up and down. Feels like palputations or something, even when I was just sitting. I have had a bad cough though, maybe this has something to do with the chest pain. I am getting numb toes, ankles, hands and fingers. But it only lasts for a while, gets better, then repeats itself. I also have pain in my joints, (shoulders, back etc: just feel achy). Maybe its just a flu bug or something, as its going around. I have had troubles with blood pressure: it suddenly drops and I feel dizzy, confused etc. But this just hit all of a sudden and I can't think of what could have triggered a panick attack. Although I was uncomfortable at the restuarant.

Anyway, doctor is most likely the way to go if it continues. Unfortunetly, lots has happened in the past 2 weeks. I don't have a family doc anymore, have no doctor at all. But....things will work out I am sure. They usually do. Thanks for the reply feelingconfused. May I ask what the outcome of your heart attack was?? How are u doing now??

Haunting

mine wasn't a heart attack. It was a panic attack but sure felt like the world was caving in on me. I haven't had one in about 7 years. Reading the book Don't Panic (I think by Wilson or Reed) helped me understand it alot. I've had a few times of coming close to having a full outright attack, but have always been able to control it with the knowledge I gained from that book. You're sounds much more than panic attack though.

haunting

Not to sure but I still feel terrible today. I am glad that it was not a heart attack.

I don't know what is with the pain but I think someone kicked the heck out of me. And my heart is going nutty. Hummm.

Haunting

haunting

I hear you. I don't have a doctor, and don't want to find another one. I am too tired to go see whats going on. It probably nothing or the same ole problems arising from the medical issues at hand. I think I just need some rest.

Don't you ever feel so drained that to even think about going into see a doctor or thinking about going down the road to the grocery store just finishes off any energy you have left? Well thats how I feel right now. I need to lay down and get some sleep, it will work itself out. Always has before.

Thanks, Haunting

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
My heart was beating so fast and I started getting chest pains.
My heart rate through the evening has been up and down.
I was totally confused and could not speak properly.
I am getting numb toes, ankles, hands and fingers.
Any of the above symptoms warrant immediate medical consultation to rule out a more serious medical problem, esp. since people with anorexia are more at risk of having severe medical conditions.

. It probably nothing or the same ole problems arising from the medical issues at hand.
...or the "same ole problems" getting worse, or a new illness/complication that is a result of the anorexia, or something else entirely.

As you know, anorexia is a life-threatening condition, so I would take any new physical symptoms very seriously. Even if you aren't thrilled about living, no one wants to be disabled by a heart attack or on a waiting list for a kidney.

Anorexia has many side effects. These include:

* Significant weight loss
* Fear of becoming fat, even when obviously too thin.
* Excessive dieting and exercising
* Abnormal food preoccupations, such as counting all calories or obsessively studying cookbooks
* Constipation
* Dry, sallow skin
* Fine, downy hair may grow on the face and arms
* Menstrual periods stop
* Mood swings
* Suppression of sexual desire
* Hands and feet cold at normal room temperature
* Chronic insomnia
* Hyperactivity
* Frequent illnesses. Physical problems can include anemia, heart palpitations, bone loss, and tooth decay. Life-threatening problems include suicide, heart attacks, and kidney failure.

WebMD - Better information. Better health.

Another problem is women are less likely to realize they are having a heart attack:

Women and Heart Attack

If you're a woman, you may not believe you're as vulnerable to a heart attack as men–but you are. Women account for nearly half of all heart attack deaths. Heart disease is the number one killer of both women and men.

There are differences in how women and men respond to a heart attack. Women are less likely than men to believe they're having a heart attack and more likely to delay in seeking emergency treatment.

Further, women tend to be about 10 years older than men when they have a heart attack. They are more likely to have other conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and congestive heart failure–making it all the more vital that they get proper treatment fast.

Women should learn the heart attack warning signs. These are:

Pain or discomfort in the center of the chest.

Pain or discomfort in other areas of the upper body, including the arms, back, neck, jaw, or stomach.

Other symptoms, such as a shortness of breath, breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea, or light-headedness.

As with men, women's most common heart attack symptom is chest pain or discomfort. But women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting, and back or jaw pain.

If you feel heart attack symptoms, do not delay. Remember, minutes matter! Do not wait for more than a few minutes–5 minutes at most–to call 9-1-1. Your family will benefit most if you seek fast treatment.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/actintime/haws/women.htm

haunting

Thank you for giving this info to me. I am going today to the ER. My kids dad phoned this morning and is taking them for a few hours today which will allow me to be able to go and not worry them more than they are.

I will let u know how this goes. I just don't know what to say to the doctor.

Thanks Daniel.

Haunting

ThatLady

Just tell the doctor all of your symptoms, what you were doing when the symptoms began, how long they lasted, and how you've felt afterward. Also, make sure you let him know that this anomoly repeated itself throughout the day. Be sure and let him know if it happened at rest, was worse during activity, or was the same whether at rest or active. Those are all important.

I'll be anxious to hear what you find out, hon.

haunting

Hello again. Well my potassium has dropped which will explain alot. But in the end: I am being admitted into the hospital. After an argument with my doc, yelling back and forth, I broke down into tears.

I am not sure how long I will be gone but its just getting everything into place for my kids. And we have already figured out some things. But I am so scared. Dealing with all of this has me feeling panick, don't know how to deal with this part of things. I am so used to running away from everything...to face it now brings this unbelievable fear. How do I deal with this? Part of me wants to run...I am so used to it. I want to yell at everyone, tell them to leave me alone. But the bigger side wants to fight all of this mess. If I die, my kids are stuck with their father who is abusive, and does not give a crap. They need me and I need them.
Haunting

ThatLady

If your serum potassium is low, that can explain the symptoms you're describing, Haunting. People with dangerously low potassium levels are always admitted to hospital for IV potassium infustion to bring the levels back to within normal ranges. While I understand your fear and your concern for you children's welfare, this is something you absolutely must do, for them and for yourself, hon. Let the doctors help to get your electrolyte levels back to where they should be and you'll feel worlds better, believe me.

I'll be thinking of you, and I'm sure you'll be back with us soon. In the meantime, take care of yourself. Get the care you need to bring you back to health. That's the best thing you can do for everyone concerned.

Hugs, Haunting.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.