More threads by forgetmenot

Just wondering when a client has been hospitalized is it ok for therapist to call them to see how they are doing or is this not done.

Just wondering if the care can continue while there .

Retired

I agree with CatDancer. Your therapist's visiting you while hospitalized is a nice gesture and would show compassion and interest.

Not a visit per say but just a call say if one decided to go in for a long period of time i don't know I know it is not expected of a therapist to do so, just it would perhaps take some anxiety away for the client

Retired

In that case, it would be OK to bring this up with your therapist, and ask him/her to touch base with you while hospitalized, by either calling or stopping by if possible. It's a perfectly reasonable request.

However, it should be kept in mind, that there may be reasons such as traveling distance, other commitments, personal schedules etc that might make a visit impossible, so be prepared for an answer either way.

A suitable compromise might be an occasional telephone call or email contact, if possible.

Well worth discussing it....there's nothing to lose.

Banned

Banned
Just wondering, forgetmenot, are you referring to if the person is hospitalized for mental health issues or other general health issues?

Don't think a visit would be necessary just a call to see if the client is um handling things well while in hospital
Medical or mental issues the client is in an environment that to them is triggering so both issues here

If the the therapist is aware of the clients fears then they would know if a call would help ease the anxiety.
Just don't know if this can be done or not or if this infringes on the doctors care that is being given mm I guess

Retired

if this infringes on the doctors care that is being given

Remember that health professionals are accustomed to working in a collegial atmosphere, where consultation with colleagues is part of the daily routine.

So it would be highly unusual for a doctor to feel the visit or involvement of another member of your health team as infringement. Your visiting therapist would be there in a supportive role, and would not be expected to interfere with your hospital care.

In any case, you can have anyone you wish visit or call you while you are in hospital.

As has been said, all this can be clarified in a conversation with your therapist by expressing your concerns to him/her. That way you would both know where you stand.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.