More threads by Retired

Retired

Yuray said:
After being here for a week or so, and extensivley browsing histories, and being attentive to current postings,

We can only be flattered by your dedicated interest in Psychlinks, and thank you for providing feedback. As Dr. Baxter has already addressed your comments, I am curious about your own life voyage that has brought you to Psychlinks.

Have you a specific interest in the field of mental health as one who has experienced its challenges from the side of caregiver, a health care provider or health care recipient?

We will be looking forward to future participation in the Psychlinks community.

Yuray

Re: New Forum

Steve

I, like most of us here, have experienced the utter destitution that allows death to appear more fruitful than life, and I have experienced the elation that most of us would find comforting. I have no pretentious attitudes that would qualify me more than any other person of being an apt caregiver or good listener. If there is anything that would set me apart ( and trust me, its no great feather), is my ability to read between lines.

I have only a marginal interest in psychology: as most of those who teach it, practice it, and trumpet its success, have never held a gun to their head, stood on a window ledge, preferred death over life, begged to any god to be rid of their affliction, and perhaps worst of all, having to live, organize their life around, and comply with the affliction. This is not to say that their offerings are not beneficial, for historical evidence supports that it is beneficial, but rote aquisition of knowledege more often than not leads to rote dispensation. There are a some who stand out in their commitment, and that is displayed by the loyalty and trust from the clients. From information I have garnered in postings however, this is the exception to the rule.

I was brought to this forum from a keyword search. Amnesia - love - faith. I am curious to establish the relationships. There is very little information on the topic as set out in my query.

I am not here to judge, change opinion, shed light, change mandates, criticize, or be of any other negative influence. I simply enjoy understanding people, and being one of them in the quest we are all involved in: determining our relevance, meaning, and how to deal with lifes inconsistancies, in a positive light.

If by my lack of depth in understanding all of the acronyms relating to mental disorders I appear as patronizing with 'quick fix' advice, that is certainly not my intent, but on the other side, I have a fear of enabling that is just as 'quick fix'. I have no academic background in the field of psychology, but as a caregiver, patient, and healthcare provider at varying times, I do have an insight into some human frailties, and I am NOT an armchair psychologist, nor am I a recovering anything, or doing research.

When I am done this reply, I am going to watch Seinfeld, then the Family Guy, crack open a couple cold ones, catch the Simpsons, watch Larry King and wonder at how anyone can watch Larry King, myself included, then scarf down some chocolate cake, put some food out my back door for any creature of the night who will eat it, and finally, thank whatever power an agnostic can relate to, and count my blessings to be alive, aware, and relevant!

Yuray

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

I have only a marginal interest in psychology: as most of those who teach it, practice it, and trumpet its success, have never held a gun to their head, stood on a window ledge, preferred death over life, begged to any god to be rid of their affliction, and perhaps worst of all, having to live, organize their life around, and comply with the affliction.

You might be surprised to learn how many therapists have personal histories not unlike yours...

Banned

Banned

My own therapist went through a major depression and was quite suicidal many years ago. She understands my pain, because she's experienced it first hand.

Alot of people are moved into the profession because of the help they received during their own personal crisis.

Alot of people are moved into the profession because of the help they received during their own personal crisis.
what i have been through has made me interested in the profession, but in reality i don't think i have what it takes to be a good, competent therapist. but i can totally see where others would choose it because of their own experiences.

Where does the healer go when the healer needs to be healed?
i would say they go find another heal to help them :)

ladylore

Account Closed
Any talented therapist that I have known either have their own therapist or supportive group/system that they can rely on to continue their own inner work.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I believe my Psychiatrist has had personal experience with mental illness too. When I mention about things certian things that scare me, he will say "I know, I understand". I thought initially that was from his schooling and training that he was able to understand that way.

After continuing to talk to him, I almost felt it, like when I was upset, he felt my pain. The full expression on his face would change and his voice. I think some empathy can be taught, but some can't. I really think he has coped with mental illness before, or had a family member etc who has.

Although I wouldn't wish mental illness on anyone. It is helpful to even sense that my doctors can relate, trained to relate or otherwise.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.