More threads by Cat Dancer

How do you know when you should call the doctor? If you think you are having a strange reaction to a medication?

I think it's hard to know because when you struggle with depression or some other mental illness you often doubt your perceptions of things.

Should you call if you are having more suicidal thoughts or self-destructive thoughts than you were before? Or could that just be from increased anxiety from something else?

I don't want to bother the doctor or my therapist unless it's extremely necessary, but I don't know when that would be.

I don't know if this makes sense at all. I think it doesn't as I'm writing it, but I hope it does.

Janet,

How about asking the pharmacist at the drugstore first and he might be able to tell you whether you need to chat to your Doctor. Thats what I use to do here if I was worried about any tablets and side effects, just an idea.

I would, but I went to school with him and it's already embarrassing to be having these prescriptions filled. I guess just hold on until the next appointment.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good idea.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
If you're worried that it might be a medication effect, call the doctor's office.

Halo

But when you call Janet do you have to tell them who you are? Can you just not say that you were prescribed such and such medication and then describe your symptoms and ask if what you are experiencing is a normal reaction? When I call a pharmacy I don't have to tell them who I am.

Just a thought?

I was just going to say the same as Nancy. Janet if you are really worried then I would do what David says just to put your mind at rest

ThatLady

You should call the doctor anytime you have a reaction that you feel is unusual, or if your symptoms increase.

Yes, Janet. What you asked makes a lot of sense, and I'm glad you asked it. Too many people are afraid to call their doctors when things just don't seem right. Doctors want to know this! They really need to know this! :hug: