More threads by lallieth

lallieth

I can pinpoint the exact date/event/time when I had my very first panic attack.I can pinpoint the cause as being a traumatic event and yet I never experienced anxiety/panic before that time.

I often think about,what if I hadn't gone through that particular event,would I have panic disorder today? and what if I were to relive that event,would it change how I view it,in that I have more understanding of anxiety/panic disorder?

Was something triggered in my brain at that particular moment/event?

I remember the days before panic & anxiety,before the need for medication and it was nice..While I know and understand that I need the medication and probably will for the rest of my life,I hate being a slave to it.

Perhaps its time for another visit with the therapist

braveheart

Re: Where does the panic disorder come from

I'm not sure. Those're good questions which I'll give some thought.
I know for me, because of very early trauma, I can't ever remember a time when I wasn't panicky or anxious.

Halo

Re: Where does the panic disorder come from

I am much the same as Braveheart when I can't remember a time when I wasn't anxious but like you I have a friend that can recall the exact time, place and location she was when she had her first panick attack. She has often wondered too if she had not engaged in a certain behaviour if she would not have had panick attacks.

My wonder is whether she had a predisposition to anxiety/panick attacks and they did not come out in full force until she was triggered by engaging in that certain behaviour.

I don't think that one will ever know for sure as going back is not possible but look forward is the only option now.

Take care
:hug: :hug:

lallieth

Thanks to you both

I suppose I could have a genetic predisposition to panic/anxiety disorder.But I remember being able to face huge crowds for singing/public speaking and not even feeling a bit nervous

Then bang,this one event and panic is by my side.I realize we can't go back,but I do wonder if I were to recreate that same scenario,if I could handle it differently now and in that,reassure my self that I do not need to feel that panic

Does that make sense?

I don't know if this will help you at all, but think of taking the medication as taking a vitamin. That's what I had to do. It's just like taking care of your body with eating healthy foods, only this is with your brain.

Thanks to you both

I suppose I could have a genetic predisposition to panic/anxiety disorder.
that is quite likely.

Then bang,this one event and panic is by my side.I realize we can't go back,but I do wonder if I were to recreate that same scenario,if I could handle it differently now and in that,reassure my self that I do not need to feel that panic

Does that make sense?
i can understand your thinking here. it's hard to answer that question because i do not know of the intensity of the event that triggered things. do you think you would have been able to handle it differently with the knowledge you have today?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I often think about,what if I hadn't gone through that particular event,would I have panic disorder today?

I used to think it could have been the fact my onset of depression/OCD coincided with my loss of religious beliefs, but then a religious family member developed mental illness.

Now I just blame society :) I'm joking, of course, but some of my favorite links concerning social psychology:

Michael Zielenziger - Shutting Out the Sun - Hikikomori - Japanese Culture

Running on Emptiness: The Failure of Symbolic Thought--John Zerzan

American Mania: When More is Not Enough - Google Book Search

The Saturated Self: Dilemmas of ... - Google Book Search

Arrested Adulthood: The Changing ... - Google Book Search

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.