More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch!
by Cristina Mntoya Fedler
Thursday, December 23, 2010

Why are people so mean during the holidays?!

I can understand the stress, the pressure to pick the perfect gift, but the reason for the season is peace and salvation, people!

We all deal with holiday stress a little differently, depending on our personalities. I, for one, de-stress by sipping a glass of wine and zoning out on the lights of our Christmas tree once the kids are in bed. But others? I think they de-stress by terrorizing people in parking lots, malls, convenience stores and tree lots.

It all started on Black Friday. I think the "black" in the phrase has a two-fold meaning. Yes, the store will be making money that day, but the customers will also be straight-up angry. And for what reason? As I walked past the throngs of shoppers waiting in lines longer than Santa's naughty list, I noticed that there was something in the air: People were turning into scrooges and grinches almost instantly.

The holidays are a time when most of us deal with family and friends that we haven't talk to in ages. There's pressure to be perfect and show how great the year has been. So it's no wonder that there is a 100 percent chance of emotional outbursts at nearly every holiday gathering. Combine that with overly sugared children, overdrawn checking accounts and the five pounds of extra cookie weight you put on, and it's enough to make anyone cry.

What's the secret to staying sane during the holidays? My personal trick is to remember to be thankful for EVERYTHING -- a bed, a home, my family, the fact that I'm waiting in line because I have enough money to buy a present. The reasons for thankfulness are endless. All you have to do is look around.

And if you happen to see two shoppers fighting over a parking spot as "Deck the Halls" plays faintly in the background, flash them a cheery Christmas smile. It's contagious.

Good point. My solution was to feel sorry for them and stay away from the stores.

I decided that it makes no sense to shop until you drop. If your loved ones love you and they know you can't afford a lot, then they will accept you not overspending or having an emotional breakdown because of the stress of long line-ups and crowded stores.

Since deciding to scale down for Christmas and enjoy the real meaning of the season instead, the season has been a lot less stressful.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Black Friday, the most celebrated shopping day of the year, abounds with tales of fistfights over discounted televisions or even stampedes as consumers rush to get that low-priced sweater they saw in an ad.

Many people chalk it up to bad behavior. But marketers like me have a term to describe one feeling that contributes to it: psychological ownership...

You can feel psychological ownership over pretty much anything that doesn’t legally belong to you, from the last chocolate truffle in a display case to the dream home you found on Zillow, and even intangible things like ideas.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.