More threads by Tempered Tense

I know I'm probably a bit late with this, as it's been going on for several years now, but I just finished watching a documentary. It seems scientology is unleashing a huge attack on psychiatry and I'm just wondering what the motive could be behind it.

One of the biggest attacks they're using is that Psychiatrists have no scientific proof of mental illness. To me this is circular reasoning at its worst. How can you prove a "mental" illness. And there actually is some neurological proof of schizophrenia if I am not mistaken. I simply don't understand why they're going after psychiatry, perhaps it is because of the popularity of medicating children for ADHD? If anything, this should be an issue with parenting, not psychiatry. The last I knew, a doctor cannot force a parent to medicate their child. And the doctors I have seen have always used medication as a last resort, and even still left it as my choice.

I suppose it would be better if we had no other alternatives for dealing with depression, and trauma, and any other obvious mood disorders that people encounter, other than daily "auditing" to relieve ourselves of body thetans.

Last edited:

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I have no respect for Tom Cruise, I refuse to watch any of his movies. I believe he has mental health issues and is in denial about that. It is very disrespectful of him to throw stones at a profession he knows nothing about except what he was brainwashed to believe. As for parents over medicating their children, I think he is over generalizng. Alot of the peope giving the medication might be GP's and that isn't their area of expertise. I was disgusted with his comments towards Brooke Shields as well about her post partum depression. Coming from a family that does have mental illness and implying they could have taken vitamins and exercised away these problems made me furious.......oh well, did I mention I have no respect for Tom Cruise.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I'm just wondering what the motive could be behind it.

Certainly, the founder, L. Ron Hubbard, was motivated by money:

[L. Ron Hubbard] began making statements to the effect that any writer who really wished to make money should stop writing and develop [a] religion, or devise a new psychiatric method.

L. Ron Hubbard: "Make money. Make more money. Make others produce so as to make money . . . However you get them in or why, just do it."

L. Ron Hubbard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But as for members like Tom Cruise who have fallen prey to cult psychology, I have no idea as I am not familiar with the psychology of cults. Certainly, their cult has always been trying to compete with psychology and psychiatry to bring in new members.

Lana

If I were to guess, I'd say an attack on psychiatry, would bring more people to scientology and more money into their pockets. So, get rid of the people that actually help, and they will make money. It's all about money.

Hi ,
I always thought that individuals who bash ferociously mental health professionals and the medications, are either in denial or in fear , when this is coupled by adherence to such a venal and dangerous totalitarian movement as scientology, then such grotesque and innappropriate ideas are given full reign , Mr, Cruise is too far up to his neck now , to realise how manipulated he is , too full of his own distress maybe to reach a state of self awareness. I just hope that one day this horrid sect will crumble to nothingness. little chance at the moment I am afraid , the financial stakes are too enormous .:(

white page

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.