More threads by Thelostchild

Why is it that its so hard for me to cry and express my feelings when I'm in therapy and even when I'm not in therapy.? I mean Im always telling him how I feel but I'm always holding allot of emotions back other then anger or anxiety.? SOmetimes I think that It would be easyer to watch my every movement and everyday life to see how I really am. But thats just not going to happen. So how am' I supposed to express My feelings and to have them truly meant to be.

And I'm currently working on in therapy how to be a postive person and how to love my self. But how am' I supposed to do that when I have a negative person in my life. I can't just aviod this person.? I'm between a rock and a hard spot? And then when bad things come my way how am' I supposed to react to them? Maybe thats a question I need to figure out for myself.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Why is it that its so hard for me to cry and express my feelings when I'm in therapy and even when I'm not in therapy. I mean Im always telling him how I feel but I'm always holding allot of emotions back other then anger or anxiety.

It's a shield. And the solution is to work toward feeling safe with one or more people so you can learn that you don't have to be on guard against the whole world - only certain people in it.

But how am' I supposed to do that when I have a negative person in my life. I can't just aviod this person. I'm between a rock and a hard spot? And then when bad things come my way how am' I supposed to react to them?

You can't change that other person. But you can learn not to react to that other person any more - sometimes that's a very difficult thing to do but you can learn to do it.

Is it me or do I just ask allot of questions that I could just figure out on my own with a little bit of thinking time? I Thought that I felt comfortable enough when I was In therapy now I know that Im not?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Sometimes asking questions out loud helps to clarify your own thoughts - and even to answer the questions yourself. Nothing wrong with that.

As for therapy being confortable, that's not necessarily the goal of therapy. The goal is positive change - sometimes, probably usually, that means stretching yourself outside your comnfort zone - sometimes it even means increasing your level of distress for a while in order to move beyond it.

Peanut

Sometimes asking questions out loud helps to clarify your own thoughts - and even to answer the questions yourself

I definitely agree with that. Sometimes when I get stuck on a homework problem, I go and pose the question to someone else (usually my husband) and just by me reiterating what the problem is, I am suddenly able to figure out the answer on my own...it's a strange phenomenon because I can be stuck on the problem FOREVER but then after I ask him it takes me like 2 seconds to figure it out.

I don't know if it is the saying it out loud that helps or rephrasing it so someone else can understand it...but it really helps.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.