More threads by forgetmenot

Retired

attachmentphpattachmentid6278d1414526785-1.jpg

Seen today in my backyard: Great Egret

Currently posted in my Psychlinks Photo Album: Nice Stuff

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Gosh, the animals you guys get so close by!! Very cool.

I'm right in suburbia but there are some semi-rural areas I can go for walks in. Saw a pair of large birds that were totally new to me, in a new walkway I discovered. It really pays to just drive around in different corners of nearby suburbs, especially near the outskirts of the area. We do have good investment in public parks and walkways here. The only thing you're likely to see around suburbia are birds, lizards or snakes though.

Actually, there is a night wildlife tour nearby that I should do one time. I'm disgusted that I'm in Australia but everyone's local wildlife sightings are far more exotic than mine. :p

Retired

I'm disgusted that I'm in Australia but everyone's local wildlife sightings are far more exotic than mine.

What?? Don't you have kangaroos and Koala bears all over town??....:confused:

Kangaroos-Perth-City-Council.jpg

Photographic subjects, in my view, are the way you see them and the way you choose to portray them. If you keep your camera nearby and look at things with a critical and inquisitive eye, you can make pictures that can be interesting.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Hey look at that - an opportunity for a little trip out of city came up, and we did get some kangaroos hopping through the property and grazing. We also had possums in the trees, and I had never seen possums - I'd never been sure whether we have possums on this side of Australia, so now I know! They were cute, a little bit like cats in their movement.

Incidentally we also went through a very large and cool and definitely confusing hedge maze. I think my quite Mr & Mrs Castanza-like ageing parents had somewhat underestimated it going in. Them in the maze became a type of entertainment that I don't think the developers foresaw.

serenitynow-1.png
SERENITY NOW

heatherly

We have deer here when it is deer season. Sometimes I think of feeding them but my husband doesn't want me to encourage them. Our groundhog is adorable, we have quite a few of them, but the one eats cat food and any fruits and veggies that I give him. One day I was putting handfuls of wood on the stump where the cats are and looked down just as I was putting a handful in front of his face. He didn't mind, but I was shocked. Not seeing well, I could have just as easily poured it on his head. We also have a opossum here, as well as a skunk and squirrels. The birds have mostly flown south except for the cardinals, chickadees and woodpeckers. Had a red fox for a while but haven't seen him around.

Retired

During a recent trip to Daytona Shores, on the coldest day of the year with temperatures in the low 40's F plus windchill, these birds were enduring the weather.

I don't know what kind of birds they are, so any help identifying them would be appreciated, so I can name the photos correctly. Please write the bird species in the comment box below the respective photo.

These have been uploaded to my Psychlinks Photo Album Nice Stuff.

attachmentphpattachmentid6362d1417107228-1.jpg
attachmentphpattachmentid6361d1417107228-1.jpg
attachmentphpattachmentid6364d1417107228-1.jpg

Thank you for the information making_art i often wandered as well what these birds were as my daughter and i saw them once and did not know what we were looking at
we thought they were just a different breed of sea gulls

Oh yes i saw about 50 wild turkey all together in a farmers field today i told them they should really be in hiding because Christmas is coming soon and the hunters are out

heatherly

my husband who has lived on the beach said that the ones in the background are seagulls and the little one is front is a sandpiper, but we have never seen the ones with the crown on their heads. and yes, the snowy egret.

OMG my daughter and I just saw a baby cub bear omg ran right infront of my vehicle it was sitting side of the road dam i did not get a picture.
I was right near where i live i walk I did not see the mother bear though just a young cub by itself went back to try to get a picture but it was gone so cool but scary because if thereis a baby cub then there is a mother bear near by

Saw two mother animals today a mother chipmunk with her baby and mother deer with her little fawn not very old at all the fawn was. It could barely walk through the long grass mama kept it near her and just kept looking our way. We were in the car at the side of the road. It was so cute little bambi so cute

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.