More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Have you updated your Windows 10 the the latest version, Version 1803 aka the Spring Update?

If so:

1. did you have any problems with the update? How did you resolve them?
  2. have you noticed any issues since the update? How have you resolved them?

If your system has not yet been updated:

• is this intentional? Have you done anything to postpone the update?
  • has your system encountered problems downloading the update?

I had to download the update manually from the Microsoft site and then use the Media Creation Tool to create an In Place Upgrade on a USB flash drive to install it.

Once installed (on May 1, 2018), the only problem I've encountered was that a small utility I use daily, the 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, could not load. The utility is free but since I made a donation to the author I was eligible to download an alpha updated version which is working perfectly.

If you're not familiar with the 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, you can read about it in a separate post here at 7+ Taskbar Tweaker: Free Utility.

Retired

I ran the update on two systems..

One system did not demonstrate any unusual behavior, but the power settings were reverted to Windows default very conservative settings on my primary (more powerful) system.

There is a report that some systems with Chrome and/or Cortana are locking up and that MS is aware of the problem with a fix being distributed next Tuesday.

The update took a v-e-r-y long time (about 3-4 hours) to complete on three systems I am aware of.

My primary system experienced a slight hiccup with the Carbonite backup utility once, and I'll be watching that closely.

Gary's post tells the story about this update best.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
There are also reports of issues with NVIDIA graphics cards, although evidently these can be resolved by updating the drivers.

There are also reports of issues with Firefox, but I haven't experienced any.

GaryQ

MVP
Good one Steve! I guess the timing of that Dilbert comic strip although not intentional was pretty spot on :)

Thanks for the heads up guys. Still on 1709 here. I only have 2 of my 4 PCs up and running (really have to get the backup server hooked up soon though)

I'm running Windows 10 pro on 3 of them and with the bugs I've read so far I switched the UDATE settings to SEMI-ANNUAL CHANNEL
(Means it's ready for widespread use in organizations.)
on both PCs. Not ready to risk it especially with the backup server being 2 months behind!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Don't be overly dismayed by the bug reports. There are also a lot of people, like me, reporting no issues after the upgrade.

I would agree about having a backup first in case, though - preferably a disk image.

Mine's still 1709 and hasn't given any notifications about wanting to update. I'm not in a hurry to chase it down.

Just updated then (got the prompt on Friday).
Super pleased with it so far, because it automatically fixed the microphone-not-detected issue that the previous mini update caused. :D

GaryQ

MVP
Yes, every once in a while MS messes up and accidentally fixes something. Give it an update or 2 and something should stop working again :D

GaryQ

MVP
No, actually since I wait (generally) for the new updates to be somewhat stable I don't have many issues. (knock on wood)
Only problem I constantly have is the AMD PC's not always showing up in network neighborhood after certain updates but that's a minor annoyance is all.
But I have read many stories of unlucky users especially regarding laptops.

GaryQ

MVP
Well no more putting it off. The SEMI-ANNUAL CHANNEL (Ready for widespread use in organizations) Windows 10 Pro Upgrade 1803 Came out this week.
Here is how things went on 2 of my PCs so far:

1 - Main Data Server: AMD FX-8320E (overclocked to 4.4ghz) Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 Motherboard (Realtek LAN) Geforce GT710 Video card
Update ran automatically just needed to confirm ready to install.

Issues after install:
System would crash and reboot frequently.
Fix:
Updated Video drivers - No more crashes since.

2 - HTPC / Main PC: Intel I7-3770K - Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H motherboard - CPU integrated graphics HD4000 - Using Intel built in LAN port
Automatic Install failed twice. (A lot of wasted time)
After two fails Windows update would not say that the feature upgrade was available anymore.
Windows 10 update assistant worked (Should have made a USB Installer with the Media creation tool since I have 2 more to upgrade)

Issues after install:
PC no longer appearing in network neighborhood. (Can connect to PC shares typing in PC name in search bar)
This problem was constantly appearing on and off with every windows 10 upgrade and sometimes even with regular updates on my AMD CPU PCs but never on the Intel ones. Now it's the opposite. :facepalm:
Fix:
Previous fixes were to reset network adaptor and then reconfigure it every time (annoying but worked more or less but not a permanent fix)
Today I found this article: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/network-computers-not-showing-in-windows-10
After reading it and the comments I tried option 3 : Check Function Discovery Resource Publication Service if it is set to automatic or not and do so.
Well what do you know service was automatic and running on the AMD PC and set to manual and not running on INTEL PC :eek:mg:
Enabled service to automatic start and started service. Tada! shared resources visible on both PCs

Note: I posted the link to the article in case anyone else has issues but mostly for selfish reasons; Now I know where to find the info if it happens again and I forget where I found it :D

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.