More threads by Retired

Retired

I've been using a HP 1018 Laserjet printer with my systems for several years, because the printer is excellent.

Suddenly the printer would not print with either computer that shares it. I ran HP's troubleshooter and the printer checked out except it would not print.

I ran a number of tests, used a number of resources to troubleshoot with no success, until I came across an article that suggested using Windows own drivers for older printers.

I uninstalled the original HP software, and deleted the printer from Control Panel | Devices and Printers.

The printer was then reconnected, and it showed up as an unknown device.

I then went to Control Panel | Device Manager | and located the unknown device Laserjet 1018, right click and Update Driver. Windows updated the driver and the printer now works.

On the other Windows 10 computer, the driver was reported as being up to date, so the fix was to simply delete the printer from Devices and Printers, reconnect the printer so it can be re-discovered on USB, and added to the Printers in Devices and Printers.

I believe I read somewhere there are some recent printer issues with Win10 that are being addressed in this week's off schedule Windows update.

GaryQ

MVP
Welcome to Windows as a service Steve!
The one certainty about Windows 10 is that each feature update is sure to break something for someone. Printing, networking, web cams etc. no longer working are common issues that keep popping up.

They seem more interested in pushing new apps nobody wants or likes than keeping the operating system stable. If you have a home version it's even worse because you have no option to delay new feature updates. It's called "Guinea Pig Version" they test on you until stable and then release to the Pro and enterprise versions when the delay feature update option is enabled.

My 2 biggest pet peeves are with Edge browser and Google Chrome... How many times do I have to say NO to changing my default browser.
I'll stop there LOL

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I still can't get the Fall Creators Update (Version 1709) to install on my desktop. It installed automatically without issue on my laptop but my desktop is slightly older and has a lot more "stuff" on the main drive as well as peripherals (e.g., 4 USB drives).

I have googled the issue to death and followed every piece of advice out there short of a clean install of Windows 10. Reluctant to do that because I need it for work.

Every week or so, I try a few more things... about time for another round I guess.

It gets to 75% or 83% completion and then pops up an error, usually but not always 0x80070005 which often means a driver is out of date. I have gone through and tried to update every driver. Most report the best driver is already installed; I did find updates for a couple by going to the manufacturer's site but that didn't help.

Windows update and Windows update utilities all say I meet the criteria for the update.

I've tried the Windows Update Assistant: goes through its routine, but again quits at 75% or 83% after the first reboot and rolls back to version 1703.

I've done the usual: disable antivirus (Windows Defender, but it gets re-enabled after the first system reboot anyway); unplug all USB devices except the mouse; all the Microsoft fixes to Windows update; deleted old Windows update and download folders; ran a Microsoft fixer that went through the registry and file structure to check and reset permissions; ran the system file checker. All the fixer utilities complete either with no errors or error it says it found and fixed.

Things left to try:

Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant is stuck at 99 - Microsoft Community

Arvind Ram, Microsoft

We are aware that a set of users are reporting a slow or seemingly-stuck upgrade experience when attempting to upgrade to Windows 10 or update between versions of Windows 10. The upgrade process usually takes 90 minutes or less to complete, but there is a very small subset of PCs, usually older or slower devices, where the upgrade process can take longer than typical. This situation is not related to a specific upgrade tool and has been shown to happen with Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, Media Creation Tool, USB media, and ISO media.

In these cases, even if the progress percentage appears stuck, the upgrade is still running. An error message should be displayed in case of actual failure. Cancelling and trying alternate methods is unlikely to improve the experience and will reset any upgrade progress made.

We recommend the user wait until the upgrade completes before taking further action. Users can keep working as normal while the upgrade is in progress. A delay of one day would be highly unusual, but we recommend that users wait that long for the upgrade complete or to confirm there is an issue. At that time, users should reach out to Microsoft Support or visit a Microsoft Store location so we can look into issues with the PC.

and...

Andre Da Costa MVP Community Moderator

If the problem does not improve, please try the following methods below:

If the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant becomes stuck or unresponsive at various percentages: 0%, 32%, 62%, 87%, 99%, please wait at least 4 to 7 hours. If setup does not progress, close the wizard then restart your computer. Follow the instructions to upgrade manually using the Media Creation Tool or the Windows 10 ISO file.

If you are finding it difficult to carry out some of the steps described below, please review detailed instructions how to perform them:

How to Ensure a Smooth Upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Windows 10 MVP Insider Blog - Windows 10 Help Forums

Then try upgrading manually:

Option 1: Using the Media Creation Tool

Download the Media Creation Tool Now

Right click the MediaCreationTool.exe file then click Run as administrator.

Note: How to verify if you downloaded or installed the Windows 10 November Update

Select Upgrade this PC now then click Next

Option 2: Upgrade using the Windows 10 ISO file.

Pre-requisite Task
When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1

then

then

• Disable (preferrably uninstall) your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
  • Restart a few times then try again.
  • Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader). You can do this from the Device Manager.
  • If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).
  • Load your BIOS the reset the BIOS defaults.
  • Check if there any available BIOS updates for your system, then apply them.
  • If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumb drive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.
  • Perform a clean boot, restart then try again.
  • If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both then attempt setup again.
  • If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.
  • If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
  • If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account.

I need to be willing to be without my desktop for who knows how long to try this.

Another option would be to call Microsoft for remote help... last time I did that it turned out I knew more than the person helping me though.

GaryQ

MVP
David, Sometimes a clean install is the only way and sometimes a clean install will also crash.
Here's my recommended way to avoid being up chocolate creek without a popsicle stick if it fails to install

If you have a spare HDD follow these steps
1 - Create system image on external HDD
Or Clone your system HDD using any disk cloning software like Acronis
(this is to make sure if you clean install and it fails you have a tried and tested system image)
2 - Install cloned HDD temporarily and see if system boots and functions normally for a day or two (to be safe and not sorry)

3 - Create a media installation USB drive and attempt a clean install if it works then reinstall things ONE AT A TIME
IMPORTANT IS creating a system restore point at each step

Or get a friend to help you try to figure out what is preventing the upgrade.
Teamviewer remote connection is helpful for that although I have only used it locally not remotely.

AS for age that shouldn't be an issue. I'm running it on 4 different PCs oldest is an Intel Core2Quad from 2009 running an obsolete Radeon HD4670 video card. Although it runs OS X 10.9.5 (Hackintosh) smoother than windows 10 LOL

Last case scenario you know how to reach me

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That?s a last ditch option to me - only if absolutely nothing else works.

This seems to be a rather common problem. I would hope that eventually Microsoft will fix it.

GaryQ

MVP
I would hope that eventually Microsoft will fix it.

Maybe, most likely not since their philosophy is clean install if you have problems.
Which sometimes also cleans up other issues that have accumulated from version to version.

Some notes for upgrading issues: Make sure you have way more than 50% free space on your main hard drive or it will definitely crash with other than simply stating not enough free space. Also disable all autostart software that you can Change startup apps in Windows 10 - Microsoft Support

Might help

Whatever you do make a system image first for safety!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Thanks but I've already done all those things. As I said above, I've googled this thing to death.

Will work on my "to try list" above when I have time to let the desktop run.

GaryQ

MVP
I hope you figure it out. Best of luck as always.
I too tend to spend too much time throwing the book at those issues before giving up (or in)

Retired

David,

Have you looked at power settings to ensure your system is not turning off the processor prematurely? I keep my power settings to "never" turn off the processor, because I have automated activities going on; but I noticed a recent Windows 10 update reset my power settings to what MS thinks my computer should have.

There is also a power setting in the configuration settings under properties of the WiFi adapter, under "Power Management" that allows the computer to turn off the WiFi device to save power.

I'm wondering if your system may be turning off the processor or ethernet connection during the lengthy download, thereby aborting the update.

GaryQ

MVP
By the way, Error code 0x80070005 is also known as "ACCESS DENIED." It usually occurs when you lack a file or a registry permissions that are required to install the update

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Have you looked at power settings to ensure your system is not turning off the processor prematurely? I keep my power settings to "never" turn off the processor, because I have automated activities going on; but I noticed a recent Windows 10 update reset my power settings to what MS thinks my computer should have.

There is also a power setting in the configuration settings under properties of the WiFi adapter, under "Power Management" that allows the computer to turn off the WiFi device to save power.

I'm wondering if your system may be turning off the processor or ethernet connection during the lengthy download, thereby aborting the update.

I have my power settings on "Never" as well.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
By the way, Error code 0x80070005 is also known as "ACCESS DENIED." It usually occurs when you lack a file or a registry permissions that are required to install the update

Yes, I ran the Microsoft fix (actually two of them) for permissions and checked for missing files. The error can also occur if there's a problem with a 3rd party driver but I've run the updates for those as well.

Retired

Finally, Windows Fall Creators Update installed successfully. And it only took a month or so! :lol:

Did you have to do anything specific or did it just require persistence?

I had difficulty with the update on one of my systems with two successive apparent failures to install. After running the Windows Update Troubleshooter and several reboots, it finally installed.

Maybe there's a problem with the update protocol...Oh wait...Microsoft can't make mistakes..:confused:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Did you have to do anything specific or did it just require persistence?

It's difficult to be sure what was necessary and what wasn't but I used several tools from Microsoft to "fix" Windows Update, to fix system file permissions, etc.; updated all the drivers that I could find any updates for (they were basically all okay according to Windows but I was able to find a couple on the manufacturers' websites.

In the attempt that was successful, I used the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create an update media installation on a USB stick. Before running it, I disabled Windows Defender (my only real time anti-malware program) and used Task Manager to disable all non-essential startup services.

GaryQ

MVP
Glad to hear you got it updated.

In the attempt that was successful, I used the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create an update media installation on a USB stick. Before running it, I disabled Windows Defender (my only real time anti-malware program) and used Task Manager to disable all non-essential startup services.

I thought you had already tried that without success.

For major version updates I use the media creation tool to create a USB upgrade stick so that I download it once and update all PCs. Then if something goes awfully wrong I always have a clean install stick handy. Not that anything could ever go wrong with Windows 10 :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.