More threads by Cat Dancer

Has anyone had trouble with updating Windows Defender? Mine wouldn't update and so I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it and now it won't reinstall.

Retired

Janet,

XP or Vista?

Are you referring to definition updates or program updates?

Do you have Windows Automatic Updates set to download and install automatically or do you update manually?

On two systems I run I have not seen any unexpected behaviour on updates,the last one being today.

Lets see what others report.

I have xp. I'm not sure if it is definition updates or program updates. What happened was yesterday there was a tiny little castle icon that popped up on the right hand side of my screen with a little x on it. So I clicked on that and it said Windows Defender needed to be updated so I clicked on the update button and it acted like it was going to update, but then it didn't and said something like Windows Defender is unable to update. I've never seen this type of update before so I'm not sure what kind it was. Usually defender updates li ke a windows download. I do have Windows Automatic updates set so that it asks first if I want to download any updates.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.