More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Women Don’t Need to "Lean In." They’re Better Off Breaking Out.
by Dr. Susan Giurleot
March 13, 2013

6332956750_7c815aeab5.jpg

There is much buzz about Facebook COO, Sheryl Sandberg’s new book, Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead.

She argues that women aren’t further along in corporate executive positions and boards because they have been taught to undervalue their ability and power. She calls this “the invisible barrier in women’s minds.”

I just finished reading TIME magazine’s interview with Sandberg and have some thoughts to share as someone who studied the psychology of women’s career development.

At first glace, I see Sandberg’s point. No one is going to walk up to a woman and offer her a CEO position unless she shows up and competes with the guys. Women need to show up and be more assertive to move to the top.

But this analysis doesn’t go far enough.

Research shows that young women outnumber men graduating from college, in GPA and they are just as ambitious as their male counterparts.

However, my research and those of others have also found that smart, ambitious women often choose to opt out of male dominated career paths due to their desire to work differently.

Some smart, savvy women want children and to be present for their growing up years. Many see value in a balanced life with time for work and play. And they are willing to sacrifice a place at the corporate table to live those values.

Sandberg’s thesis assumes women want to be in positions of power, but aren’t playing by the male-defined rules to get there.

Yet, Sandberg often quotes research of a 2003 study that found that students considered a successful entrepreneur in a case study more likeable when her name was changed to a man’s. “The data says clearly, clearly, clearly that success and likeability are positively correlated for men and negatively correlated for women.”

As a woman who has been heckled by men in professional meetings for presenting myself as competent and successful, I have lived this data.

I would argue, most women (and men for that matter) don’t want to grind every day at a job where they are disliked and viewed negatively.

It is also interesting that Sandberg declines to speak to TIME about how she manages childcare (she has a 5 and 7 year old). The article says she goes home at 5:30pm, but is back at work “with a vengeance” later in the evening. Two Facebook staffers are reported to be the first to take her kids to a farm.

So here is where the concept of “Lean In” gets back to the frustrating place of women giving up family to achieve in the male-dominated corporate culture.

I don’t fault women who choose to focus on their careers and have support in child rearing. But that isn’t a choice that I want to be forced to make. My values dictate that I have a career AND be home with my child and take him to the farm once in awhile.

Does that mean I’m not leaning in? Or does that mean I’m engaging in a different career/business model?

Up to this point, the discussion around women in corporate power positions has been black and white.

Either women work the game like a guy, or they opt out altogether and stay home with the kids or under earn.

That distinction sells most women short.

Rather than lean in, I advise women who want a career, a family, a life and wealth to break out of the traditional models of CEO vs stay-at-home-mom, and create businesses that allow them to work, achieve and earn on their terms.

I see super smart women starting their own businesses every day. Don’t bang your head on the corporate ladder, when you can pivot on your sensible heal, fire up your laptop and create an empire from your kitchen table!

Some would argue that by not knocking down the walls in corporate America, I am not exerting power or changing the status quo.

But from the view of my kitchen-table-cat-sleeping-next-to-me office, I see that status quo crumbling and the age old corporate models getting shaky.

As women, we can choose to ask for approval from the dudes, or just take our power and and create the new models.

Screw leaning in. I’m breaking out.

eva

MVP
I love this article. It gets tiring to see the success of women in the working world only being graded on the big-bucks capitalist ladder, because that excludes a LOT of women. It's more important to let people define their own visions of success and give women the tools to make their own choices about their lives and careers. If you ask me, willingly working full time and raising a kid, or two or three or more is ambitious as hell.

charlene

THERE isn't any invisible barrier. Simply a different vision of what a person male or female defines as success. Women, in general, prefer consensus and cooperation as opposed to aggression and competition. This is my number 1 reason i chose my current profession- I work independently and am in charge of my professional development and pace, and quality control.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.