More threads by FLHSRB33

FLHSRB33

I hope this is in the right section, I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the anxiety section.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am in a very good relationship. Me and girlfriend plan on getting engaged in August. We have known each other for 4 years and have been best friends for 3 of the 4. We recently started going out and have been together for close to 6 months now. Our relationship seems perfect to me, the problem I'm having completely falls on me.

On a side note, I feel it might be important to mention that my past relationship of 2 years ended when my ex cheated on me twice, 1 of those times with my best friend.

Anyways, this problem has seem to started in mid to late September about a month into college. I constantly worry about her in terms of her losing feelings for me, cheating on me, things of that nature. This worries arise from very irrational things. The problem is I'm very analytical and I am able to take note of all her habits that she has developed with me and store them in a memory bank. As soon as she breaks suit and does not follow a certain habit I take note, and as they add I begin to worry more and more to the point where I can not function. I literally can not focus on anything but what I'm worrying about. I worry about telling her how I feel because I feel like I'm burdening her. I still do tell her how I feel and she's very receptive but it doesn't seem to help because I end up worrying again. She says I don't need help from a professional but I have a hard time believing her. I worry and overreact to way too many things and it seems as of late to be spiraling out of control. I know most people will think I have trust issues from my past relationship, but I don't think this is the case because I genuinely trust her. I seem to worry about scenarios, like I picture her falling for another guy or losing feelings for me because of things I have done. It's not so much that I don't trust her. I hope that last statement made sense.

This is very hard to explain in text so please bear with me. If I could describe it as best as possible it would be this: It's like my conscious is battling my subconscious. On the outside I know I'm overreacting but in my head in my mind I have all those worries and I feel like myself is at war with my mind creating arguements and justifying why she did something some way. I don't mean to sound conceited but It's like I'm too smart for my own good. I feel like my mind is able talk the logical part of me out of believing what is likely the truth and reality of the situation.

~Thanks in advance

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I constantly worry about her in terms of her losing feelings for me, cheating on me, things of that nature.
One book you may want to check out:

If This Is Love, Why Do I Feel So Insecure?

on the outside I know I'm overreacting but in my head in my mind I have all those worries
That's common with rumination/anxiety/obsession in general. So it would help to see a therapist.

She says i don't need help from a professional but I have a hard time believing her.
A lot of people who don't "need" to see a therapist would still benefit from seeing a therapist.

FLHSRB33

I forgot to mention I would love to see a therapist weather I need it or not, but I'm a full time student and couldn't afford it nor have the time that's the problem

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Have you checked out if your university offers free counseling services to students? Most universities do, though some smaller colleges do not.

nor have the time

Counselors can also help with time management :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I know most people will think I have trust issues from my past relationship, but I don't think this is the case because I genuinely trust her. I seem to worry about scenarios, like I picture her falling for another guy or losing feelings for me because of things I have done. It's not so much that I don't trust her. I hope that last statement made sense.

It sounds like a bit of both: You don't trust her not to turn out to be someone you don't think she is, like your last girlfriend did. You don't trust your own judgement. And you don't trust yourself, or trust that you deserve to be in this relationship, and you worry she'll discover this to be true.

It's like I'm too smart for my own good. I feel like my mind is able talk the logical part of me out of believing what is likely the truth and reality of the situation.

It has nothing to do with whether you're smart or not. It has to do with worrying about losing her because this relationship is important to you, and it's about giving that recurrent or reptitive worry far too much significance and power.

A therapist could help you accept the thoughts for what they are: Worries, nothing more.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.