More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Studies show yoga has multiple benefits
Fri Dec 28, 2007
By C. Vidyashankar, MD

CHANNAI, India (Reuters Health) - Yoga induces a feeling of well-being in healthy people, and can reverse the clinical and biochemical changes associated with metabolic syndrome, according to results of studies from Sweden and India. Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of heart disease risk factors such as high blood pressure, obesity and high blood sugar.

Dr. R.P. Agrawal, of the SP Medical College, Bikaner, India, and colleagues evaluated the beneficial effects of yoga and meditation in 101 adults with features of metabolic syndrome. In the study, 55 adults received three months of regular yoga including standard postures and Raja Yoga, a form of transcendental meditation daily, while the remaining received standard care.

Waist circumference, blood pressure, blood sugar, and triglycerides were significantly lower, and "good" HDL cholesterol levels were higher in the yoga group as compared to controls, Agrawal's team reports in the journal Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice.

In the second study, published online December 19 in BioMed Central Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Dr. Anette Kjellgren from the University of Karlstad, Sweden and colleagues evaluated the beneficial effects of yoga-like breathing exercises on healthy volunteers.

Fifty-five adults were advised to practice "Sudarshan Kriya," which involves cycles of slow normal and rapid breathing exercises. The exercises were practiced for an hour daily, six days a week for six weeks, while 48 controls were advised to relax in an armchair for 15 minutes daily.

At the end of the study period, feelings of anxiety, stress and depression were significantly lower and levels of optimism significantly higher in the yoga group compared to the control group, Kjellgren and colleagues report.

Yoga induces a "relaxation response" associated with reduced nervous system activity and a feeling of well-being probably due to an increase in antioxidants and lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol, they suggest.

Yoga not only helps in prevention of lifestyle diseases, but can also be "a powerful adjunct therapy when these diseases arise," co-investigator Dr. Faahri Saatiglou, from the University of Oslo, told Reuters Health. "We do not emphasize this point enough in our Western health care."

SOURCES: Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, December 2007; BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, online December 19, 2007.

lallieth

I agree with this article..While doing Yoga you must do belly breathing,deep and slow as opposed to shallow chest breathing.Yoga engages the mind/body to be still,promoting calm and relaxation.

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I have tried yoga myself and the people in the class loved it. They say that it relaxed them and made them feel calm.

I was just wondering if I was doing it wrong, I found the entire time my mind was racing and it gave me more time to focus on my current obsessions, in fact I couldnt get my mind off of my obsessions and even when I was focusing on the breathing I was still obsessing. Aeorobic exercise seems to be a little easier for me though or things that you really have to pay detailed attention to. I also have ADD as well though so maybe it comes down to having a hard time concentrating. Do you think I should give yoga another chance, I already took a full session of it and couldnt get it right. Maybe I am just doing it wrong? It does seem very good for you as Dr Baxter alludes to, but I find it kind of stressful if that makes sense.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I found the entire time my mind was racing and it gave me more time to focus on my current obsessions, in fact I couldnt get my mind off of my obsessions and even when I was focusing on the breathing I was still obsessing. Aeorobic exercise seems to be a little easier for me though or things that you really have to pay detailed attention to. I also have ADD as well though so maybe it comes down to having a hard time concentrating. Do you think I should give yoga another chance, I already took a full session of it and couldnt get it right. Maybe I am just doing it wrong? It does seem very good for you as Dr Baxter alludes to, but I find it kind of stressful if that makes sense.

I have had some clients report similar reactions to Relaxation Therapy. It might be worth giving it more than one session but on the other hand for many people aerobic exercise is just as effective.

Whatever works... :)

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Great, thanks for the suggestion. I will leave it to others to become yogamasters I think. :hissyfit:

lallieth

Great, thanks for the suggestion. I will leave it to others to become yogamasters I think. :hissyfit:
Learning to quiet the mind during yoga takes alot of practice,but if you are having problems,perhaps you could practice quieting the mind at home,along with belly breathing.:)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.