More threads by Steven_v

Steven_v

i used to take nytol (Diphenhydramine) to helo me sleep, but it used to give me slight hallucinations (mainly auditory hallucinations). and eventuly it began to make my pure 'o O.C.D. and my intrusive thoughts alot worse.
im about to go on Zolpidem and heard it can aslo cause hallucinations, and im worried that bacause of that it could cause my intrusive thoughts and pure o o.c.d. to come back again.
so does any one know about zolpidem and intrusive thoughts and/or o.c.d. ?

Halo

This was the information that I was able to gather about Zolpidem (otherwise known as Ambien) from RxList.com.

A variety of abnormal thinking and behavior changes have been reported to occur in association with the use of sedative/hypnotics. Some of these changes may be characterized by decreased inhibition (e.g., aggressiveness and extroversion that seemed out of character), similar to effects produced by alcohol and other CNS depressants. Visual and auditory hallucinations have been reported as well as behavioral changes such as bizarre behavior, agitation and depersonalization. In controlled trials, < 1% of adults with insomnia who received zolpidem reported hallucinations. In a clinical trial, 7.4% of pediatric patients with insomnia associated with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), who received zolpidem reported hallucinations [see Use in Specific Populations].

Although I am not a doctor nor a pharmacist, I would think that less than 1% is a relatively small number.

Have you spoken to your doctor about your concerns? When you were taking the nytol to help you sleep, were you taking the recommended dose or were you taking more? The reason that I ask is because I know that other OTC medications can cause hallucinations if larger quantities than the recommended dose are taken.

For a good overview of Zolpidem (Ambien) it can be found here at RxList.com

Again if you have any concerns regarding the hallucinations and your OCD, I would encourage you to speak to either your doctor who prescribed the medication or your pharmacist.

Steven_v

i did once or twice take more then the recomended dose of of nytol. but the intrusive thoughts and o.c.d. didnt effect me as soon as the i toke the nytol or while it was making me hallucinate (alomost the oposite). but after a few days, during the day and the evening the intrusive thoughts and o.c.d. started to creep up on me. i was on zopiclone for a short while along time ago and i was fine with that, i just worried that because Zolpidem can cause hallucinations like nytol it may have some of the other side effects i exsperinced

Halo

I know that this is easier said than done but try not to worry about whether the Zolpidem (Ambien) is going to cause you to have hallucinations. Just because you had it with the Nytol doesn't mean that you are going to have it with this. There are always a list of "potential" side effects with all medications but as the Zolpidem lists, the reported adults that have experienced hallucinations is less than 1%. That really is a low number.

You really won't know until you try it. Who knows you may just get the sleep that you need. Good luck with the new medication and let us know how it works.

Steven_v

does anyone know or have any theories, or ideas as to why the Diphenhydramine brought back/made worse my intrusive thoughts?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.