More threads by dmcgill

dmcgill

I have started the zyban stop smoking plan. Should have done that long ago but better late than never. I have been taking the zyban for about 7 days now and I do notice the craving is getting less. However, one of the side effects they warned me of is happening, I sleep very light and if I wake up during the night, I have great difficulty getting back to sleep.

What exactly is zyban, is it a depressant or what? Why would it keep me awake when I am dead tired?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Zyban is also marketed under the trade name Wellbutrin (Bupropion HCl) - under that name it used to treat depression and some anxiety disorders. It is usually not critical whether what time of day these medications are taken, so if you're experiencing insomnia you should try taking it in the morning instead of at night.

Wellbutrin is often listed with the family of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) although chemically it is not related to the SSRIs or any of the older antidepressants.

Wellbutrin Patient Information
What Are Possible Side Effects of Bupropion?
Like all medications, bupropion may cause side effects.

The most common side effects of bupropion HCl in clinical studies are:
o dry mouth
o difficulty sleeping.

At 300 mg/day: Loss of appetite, dry mouth, skin rash, sweating, ringing in the ears, and shakiness.

At 400 mg/day: Abdominal (stomach) pain, agitation, anxiety, dizziness, dry mouth, difficulty sleeping, muscle pain, nausea, rapid heart beat, sore throat, sweating, ringing in the ears, and urinating more often.

The most common side effects that caused people to stop taking bupropion HCl during clinical studies were shakiness, skin rash, nausea, agitation, and migraine (a severe type of headache).

The side effects of bupropion HCl are generally mild and often disappear after a few weeks. If you have nausea, you may want to take your medicine with food. If you have difficulty sleeping, avoid taking your medication too close to bedtime.

Contact your doctor or health care professional if you have signs of an allergic reaction such as a rash, hives or difficulty in breathing. Discuss any other troublesome side effects with your doctor.

Use caution before driving a car or operating complex, hazardous machinery until you know if bupropion affects your ability to perform these tasks.

dmcgill

Then I guess I should not complain! I only have a bit of trouble sleeping at night. I guess a bit earlier for the med and a brisk work out during the day to make me tired. Thanks

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.