More threads by gooblax

1. Training this week.
2. Catered lunch, we'll see how that goes.
3. Feeling apprehensive about therapy next week, but not ruling it out yet.

GaryQ

MVP
Re: 3 Positive Things Part 6

Had an up and down weekend... probably because of all that's been happening the last couple weeks. Don't deal well with bad or good emotions anymore.

Friday listening to my "old favorites" put me in a really depressed state. Saturday was looking to see if any old Porsche's like my old 1985 944 just for the fun of it. Then saw an awesome 2001 Jaguar S series V8 great shape low mileage for 6 grand. Messaged the guy to say she looked awesome too bad my budget was fixed at 5. He messages back saying I need it gone to get a new car maybe we can work something out.

Email bud for advice since my decision making hasn't been the best for some years and he says go see it but if you buy it you'll most likely regret it in time since used Jags are a money pit. Parts are too expensive. So got more bummed out and texted the guy yesterday told him I wouldn't be able to buy the car. Was bummed out but I guess better to lose a great deal than risk making another bad decision again.

1- So took my pills early went to sleep and woke up 3am. Couldn't sleep polished off the ice cream

2 - was wide awake so did all my dishes then attacked cleaning my bedroom (was mostly needing decluttering and reorganizing) since we are getting new windows installed in living-room and bedroom sometime in the next couple weeks. Place now just pretty much just needs a good vacuum and wash the floor since did kitchen, bathroom and living room because bud was coming last Friday. Didn't want him seeing it messy.

3 - Dentist at 1:45 today. Will be painful and with no chewing teeth left for a while will be tough. Plus the anxiety until the new extraction socket heals past the dry socket risk period. Positive is it will hurt physically but not financially and physical pain hurst less and heals a lot faster (normally) than financial pain.

GaryQ

MVP

1 - home safe last 3 fillings and huge hole where she took my last molar out.

2 - Friday 8am go for impressions and back later for her to go over her designs and options. Options 2 and 3 are over 1500$ so forget that. And that’s only lab fees she not charging me her markup and work

3 - got a curtain rod some black blackout curtains for bedroom and a Gotham steel baking pan (was 13$ on sale at giant tiger) used my 25$ birthday gift card so that helped.

Bonus: in pain and not even fully thawed yet. :(

Happy you got to use your birthday card at GT for a nice baking pan. HOPE you were sent home with some pain meds if not maybe contact her and see if she can transfer order for some to your pharmacist if you can take some. Rest up some you have had a lot of surgery done so rest will be best to help it all heal quickly hugs

GaryQ

MVP

Thanks FMN had 5 T3s left. 4 now.
It was bleeding a bit so I put a wad in the meds kicked in and the lights went out. Woke up still biting down on the wad lol. At least I know I don’t ever have to deal with molar extractions ever again :D there’s just 2 pre molars left next to the canine on the right side. 4 teeth top and 8 bottom ones left
i just hope I can tolerate the partials this time problem is no more back teeth for them to clamp on to stay in place up top and I know a full plate will drive me bats.

as for taking it easy I’m in “feline” mode till Friday when I go back. Not moving or doing anything till it heals. Might try some chicken noodle soup later from my nuclear shelter reserve. Stuff is probably 3 years past date.

try not to eat anything hot ok have some jello yogourt soft food ok glad you had medication to help you with pain

GaryQ

MVP

glad you had medication to help you with pain

so am I this one is raw. No swelling though but sore. Managed to sleep better since my sleeping side is the healed up side. So no pressure on it. Woke up at 9. Now I need coffee ( one great thing is I’m not a fan of piping HOT coffee!warm is fine with me) meds and pain killer for breakfast coming up. Had a warm can of chicken noodle soup last night. That stuff really is great when you’re sick etc. Except got a little piece stuck I’m my back last extraction socket took me 2 hours to coerce it out gently. It’s healed up enough that a good sold rince would have blasted it out but with the new hole in my head that was not possible :panic:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

Chicken or beef boullion is good too - no noodles. Get the sachets, not the cubes: they dissolve better in warm water.

1. First magpie swoop attack of the season. It was beginning to feel a bit un-Australian getting so far into Spring without being swooped.
2. She reconsidered her second swoop in mid-air when I glared directly at her (pro tip, they're a bit less likely to swoop when you're looking at them, but don't count on it).
3. Pretty good weather today.

GaryQ

MVP

I’m depressed... usually the perfect setup for doing (or buying) something not so smart.

1 - didn’t buy the 2001 Jaguar (bud brought me back to reason) still bummed out about that one I really wanted it but parts are expensive so used Jags even in perfect condition are considered a money pit. So better regret passing on a great deal than regretting buying it and blowing all my savings.

2 - Then spent the last days looking into restoring my old focus and getting it painted. Decided not to tonight and cancelled all my appointments regarding that. If it gets wrecked I’ll never get what it’s worth from the insurance unless I have a special appraisal and that’s not a guarantee.

3 - Extraction socket healing up slowly. No bleeding or swelling. Still sore but more just a dull persistent pain. Just took my last T3. Regular extra strength Tylenol should work if still needed from now on. I’m dying to scoff down a bag or 3 of chips (the hard wavy ones) and tonight I was craving a big huge bag of salted BBQ peanuts. Pretty sure you can guess what my partials will get tested with. She’s not sure if I’ll have them by the time I see my doc on October 9th. Seems long since she’s doing the impressions Friday morning. Haven’t eaten much. Can of soup yesterday and thawed some spaghetti sauce I made a while back just couple hours ago. Won’t feel confident eating much till left side is safer. Right side is still healing.

So im ok in spite of everything. Have to look at and try and appreciate the positives :coffee:

GaryQ

MVP

1. First magpie swoop attack of the season. It was beginning to feel a bit un-Australian getting so far into Spring without being swooped.
2. She reconsidered her second swoop in mid-air when I glared directly at her (pro tip, they're a bit less likely to swoop when you're looking at them, but don't count on it).
3. Pretty good weather today.

what about getting a mean hungry looking crocodile have him sticking out of your backpack (no not a real one just real enough looking for the task) I’m sure when the magpies see him looking at it might get a change of plans regarding swooping you :D

what about getting a mean hungry looking crocodile have him sticking out of your backpack (no not a real one just real enough looking for the task) I’m sure when the magpies see him looking at it might get a change of plans regarding swooping you :D
Or maybe a new helmet.
632d3afc125ce7119aec8e25452d04e4.jpg

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

2001 Jaguar S series V8

To me, it looks like a Ford Focus with a British grill :D

But seriously, I read at Wikipedia the S-Type got some bad reviews regarding the retro styling:

The retro styling, 'drawing upon classic Jag styling cues', was very controversial on release, inviting more unfavourable comparisons to the Rover 75. Described by contemporary reviewers as 'not 100% successful', 'awkward', 'badly proportioned... with a wheel or two in the past', 'outdated', and 'distinctive' by pundits, the heavily criticised styling significantly dented the image of the car and may have reduced the Jaguar brand's appeal among younger buyers. However, some reviewers defended its 'retro Jaguar lines' as 'ageing pretty well', 'characterful', 'classical', 'nostalgic', and 'typical Jaguar', and said that the car "looked like it had just driven off the set of The Sweeney".

Richard Hammond described the car as 'hideous' and 'like something washed up on a beach', while James May said that it 'looks like a dead cod', and Jeremy Clarkson concluded that it was the worst-looking car on sale in 2004, although he did praise the diesel engine.

Jaguar S-Type - Wikipedia

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

Plus in general British cars are not made for Canadian winters and really do not do well in Canadian winters. If you insist on owning one, you'd better have enough money to use it as a summer car and have a second one for a winter car.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

I was wondering about the snow. Even in Northern Arizona, almost everyone seems to have an SUV, ideally with All Wheel Drive. I have never seen so many Subarus until I moved here :) since they all have AWD. Audis and BMWs also have AWD in a lot of their vehicles.

(I don't think people do snow tires here, except maybe in Flagstaff.)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Just read Mercedes also has AWD/4WD in a lot of their vehicles, including the SUV (ML 320) in one of the Jurassic Park movies:

1280px-Mercedes-Benz_ML_320_Jurassic_Park_IMG_0887.jpg

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

I was wondering about the snow. Even in Northern Arizona, almost everyone seems to have an SUV, ideally with All Wheel Drive. I have never seen so many Subarus until I moved here :) since they all have AWD. Audis and BMWs also have AWD in a lot of their vehicles.

(I don't think people do snow tires here, except maybe in Flagstaff.)

It's not just the snow, although the combination of snow and salt to melt snow/ice isn't kind to British cars. It's also the cold temperatures.

German cars (except Volkswagons), Japanese cars, and those ugly Volvos are much better suited to our winters.

And around here, snow tires are a must. In fact, I think they are now required by law.

I remember growing up in BC, where back then heavy snow wasn't common and a couple of inches on the ground could paralyze a town. I was walking to school one day when we'd had about 6 inches and the snow plows had been out and blocked off some of the side streets. Some optimist in a Triumph sportscar or MGBGT had taken a run at the snowbank and was sitting on top with all four wheels off the ground. That was my chuckle for that day.

Another similar day and I had to help someone out of their drive way. I was still in primary school (we moved east when I was 10) but this guy had no idea hot to rock the car to get it unstuck so I told him to push while I rocked it and got him on his way.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

re: parts

At least in the US, if you know a mechanic (like my neighbor) that is willing to use parts you give him, then foreign parts are just as cheap as American-car parts -- if you are willing to wait for shipping. I get parts cheap at Amazon, RockAuto, etc. Like a window regulator/motor that is normally over $200 for an old BMW X5 at AutoZone is only $40 at Amazon.

Of course, if you have a big-ticket item like a transmission to replace, then you are better off selling the used car anyway. When I had the old Audi (which was only worth a few thousand), I was quoted $8,000 US at AAMCO for parts and labor if the transmission ever needed to be replaced.

Not coincidentally, the person who bought the Audi from me was a mechanic of sorts, and when I bumped into him at Walmart, he was still trying to find a vacuum leak :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.