We’ll never get rid of fear. Because of our biochemical hard wiring, it’s here to stay. But when we make decisions that are driven by fear we become co-conspirators in building our own emotional prison. Be aware of when fear is driving. Relegate fear to the back seat. This, too, might be something for which to get helpful support.

"The findings from this research are exciting as they indicate that personalized music shows great promise in effectively reducing anxiety in specific segments of the population that suffer from anxiety."

A new study on anxiety in JAMA Psychiatry shows a mindfulness program works as well as the popular anti-anxiety medication Lexapro.

“You have lots of different circuits built on top of one another, and they’re all feeding back to one of our most primitive and primordial response systems. They've really shown that stress is controlled by more than the traditional high-level cognitive areas. I think that’s a big deal.”

~ Peter Strick

Simply saying “I’m feeling anxious” can help you feel calmer. A recent study showed that putting your feelings into words reduces activity in the amygdala, the part of the brain that regulates emotions and stress...So if you’re feeling anxious, say out loud to yourself or someone else, “I’m feeling anxious.” This will help you observe and detach from the emotion just a little bit so it’ll feel less overwhelming...

There’s research that hugging and self-soothing touch, like putting a hand on your heart, can lead to lower cortisol levels after a stressful situation. If I’d had a loved one to hold my hand or give me a hug, this would have soothed my anxiety to a degree. So hug your friend or your dog. And if you’re alone, put a hand on your heart to assure your nervous system that you’re safe.

At the end of the day, it feels so much better to move forward than to stay stuck.

More info: Quotes & Tips on Anxiety