More threads by steel_lady

I will describe a person so please let me what do you think, does it indicate something.

The person appears normal on the first look except that he has some eccentric extreme tastes. In particular, showing almost exclusive interest in a very pure particular subgenre of one genre of the music. Apart from that, he is in a way obsessed with sex, he wants it too much. He doesn't show many interests apart from that, he always wants to talk about the same topic. His vocabulary is perfectly normal and not poor but likes to repeat short simple phrases. From time to time he is shaking his leg without control in a particular way. Very distrustful towards people. Likes solitary time. Has a huge collection of CDs on a big shelf knowing always where to find a particular title on it. Likes order. But in general a bit disorganized, doesn't like to plan or not trying much to meet planes proposed. If in a company, forcing people to do what he likes. If somebody shows not interested in what is he proposing, he does not pay attention to that and engages alone in that activity. Showing need for high adrenalin and chemical substances. Needs a lot of sleep. Sometimes showing anxiety. Apart from not trusting people, shows a strong bond to a very few people who have proven their love and persistent support.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: a portrait

Apart from that, he is in a way obsessed with sex, he wants it too much.

Showing need for high adrenalin and chemical substances.

Has a huge collection of CDs.

Apart from not trusting people, shows a strong bond to a very few people who have proven their love and persistent support.

Personally, since I don't know much about austism-like disorders, my initial reaction is maybe this is just a very introverted person who has taken on a "sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll" lifestyle. The atypical behaviors of repeating short, simple phrases and the leg shaking, however, do bring up the possibility of a mental disorder if the symptoms are not due to drug use. (And recreational drug use is, of course, another potential indicator of a mental disorder.)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Diagnosing people on-line is never a good idea but I must confess that, along the same lines as Daniel, I wondered about Asperger Syndrome or a personality disorder of some sort perhaps coupled with substance abuse.

I would feel better if he would go to some psychiatrist. But the thing is that I wouldn't be able to convince him to it if I don't have strong indications to show him that he needs it. Would you recommend some on-line test for Asperger or other disorders that you would suspect, so this would at least be a push to check it out if the result comes out to be positive? The only thing up to my knowledge, that would be against Asperger is that he doesn't care of dates and math, just music and rhythm and I don't see signs of physical clumsiness. He has some signs of chronical depression, but also occasionally has to take pills to calm down. He is not an addict of drugs but when he decides to take it 1-2 times a month, nobody can stop him.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.