Narcissism and Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD). Partners and friends of Narcissists. Children of Narcissistic Parents.
Top threads
Thread split to http://forum.psychlinks.ca/health-care-medicare-disability-and-ssi/29091-resources-for-assisting-someone-with-disabilities.html
Replies
Views
Narcissistic personality disorder By Mayo Clinic Staff Nov 29, 2007 Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance and a deep need for admiration. They believe that they're superior to others and have little regard for other people's feelings. But behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism. Narcissistic personality disorder is one of several types of...
Replies
Views
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/head-games/201606/how-narcissists-got-way by Vinita Mehta Ph.D., Ed.M. Dealing with narcissists is no easy task. They are arrogant, entitled, exploitative, self-absorbed, and forceful. But at the same time, they are also charming, persuasive, and attractive—making it difficult to navigate their treacherous webs. How do narcissists get this way? When trying to explain the development of the trait, current thinking tends to emphasize the roles that...
Replies
Views
Many experts agree there is an epidemic of toxic parents in older generations. A large number of today's middle-aged to younger adults are the targets of control, manipulation, constant criticism, disrespect, and emotional abuse, and deal with the results of childhood trauma (such as low self-worth, anxiety, depression, codependency, people pleasing, indecisiveness, lack of boundaries, inability to have healthy relationships, and more). Discover the four types of difficult parents: The...
Replies
Views
Boy oh boy, a lot has changed for the better since I wrote this initial post back in 2017. Today I have healed the wounds with my family. I’ve even forgiven my dad. I got access to my medical files as I said above, and I dug out some of the letters Mom wrote to my doctors. I showed Dad some of them, but I made sure I did it in person. I pulled out a letter, handed it to him, and let him read it. I then pulled out another and another and I watched his body language very carefully. There...
Replies
Views
https://psychcentral.com/blog/recovering-narcissist/2019/05/5-common-struggles-children-of-narcissists-face-in-adulthood#4 It’s very common for adult children of narcissists to self-sabotage or become overachieving perfectionists in an attempt to avoid the hypercriticism they were subjected to in childhood. Chronic emotional and psychological abuse conditions them to feel an overwhelming sense of fear, guilt, shame and not feeling “good enough” when it comes to their success, achievements...
Replies
Views
Triangulation: The Narcissist’s Best Play People who triangulate see people as objects that are only meant to be reflections or extensions of themselves, to serve them when they need to protect their ego. Triangulation is a common tactic used by people with strong narcissistic tendencies and other dark personality traits. It is easy to pull off, it costs little, and it gets the job done. You can recognize triangulation by recognizing its forms. If a parent refuses to acknowledge their...
Replies
Views
Whats the single greatest danger of covert narcissism? - YouTube Understanding Covert Narcissism - Essential Information You Need To Know - YouTube
Replies
Views
Is He or She an Addict First? Or a Narcissist First? | Psychology Today ...While the addict may be able to curb their impulse to grab their drug of choice, the narcissist will remain with his or her lack of attention to consequences and impaired empathy... “When someone has narcissistic personality disorder and a substance abuse problem it’s not enough for them to beat their drug addiction; they also have to beat their addiction to feeling special..." "You should view their narcissism as...
Replies
Views
Boy does that describes exactly what being with my second (and last) wife was like. And as a fool I would wastefully makes things even worse by attempting to defend myself till it got to the point where I would simply blow a couple neurons and had quite a few neurological storms. Thankfully I have finally learned in the last couple years since that "destructive and poisonous relationship" that people will believe what they think is the truth and that becomes reality to them no matter what...
Replies
Views
How NOT To Marry A Narcissist by Lenora Thompson, YourTango August 24, 2017 "Never again." That's what you said when you left your last narcissist. After swearing you'd never fall in love with another narcissist, you've fallen head-over-heels in love with one... again. The pattern has repeated itself. Your new guy isn't different. Not really. He's just another charming, charismatic, abusive, control-freak narcissist. Many psychologists say that codependents like us can walk into a...
Replies
Views
7 Things You?ll Never See a Narcissist Do By Julie L. Hall, World of Psychology March 20, 2017 Because of their fundamental sense of worthlessness and compensatory grandiosity, narcissists play by different rules than the rest of us. Here is a short list of things healthy people do that you?ll never see a narcissist do. 1. Apologize Admitting wrong is uncomfortable for most people, but the give-and-take in relationships at times calls for an acknowledgment of fault. Healthy people...
Replies
Views
Cheryl, Do you realize how lucky you are? You married the clown in the middle of 2014 and it's the beginning of 2017, not quite 3 years. You were able to identify his disorder and get away from him before a lot of serious damage took place. Back in November, member "Potcake" shared it took her 26 years and her concluding line was "Now I begin every day with a feeling of gratitude and every time I walk into my very modest, but My place, I smile." Wow! That's a powerful statement. What...
Replies
Views
I can see this post is from several years ago, but I do have experience with narcissistic mothers and marriage and pregnancy. Mine, too, suddenly wanted to be with me all the time when I was marrying and when I was pregnant. I made sure that she did not come for the birth of my children--she wanted to do so, but if I am already feeling weak and tired, the challenge of dealing with Mom is just too much. So if you're asking for advice, I'd say keep her far away from you when you're about to...
Replies
Views
The Real Dangers of ?Diagnosing? Everyone a Narcissist by Craig Malkin, Psychology Today April 12, 2015 Read more...
Replies
Views
How to Raise a Narcissist Medscape Medical News March 13, 2015 Children of parents who "overvalue" them are much more likely to become narcissistic ― a trait linked to aggression and violence, new research shows. The first longitudinal to study examine the origins of narcissism shows that parental overvaluation of children increased the risk of their becoming narcissistic. This supports the social learning theory rather than the psychoanalytic theory of the origins of narcissism. "It's...
Replies
Views
These people may be less "normal" than you think, Earthquake. What has been common for us in our background or community group, is not necessarily 'normal' or healthy - just so common or so similar to those we were raised by, that it starts to seem typical. Sorry this has been so common for you.
Replies
Views
Thanks MHealthJo, that's really sweet of you. Yes I'm taking it as a good sign in a way that I don't want to be away from my every day life - it must mean things are ok in general! I hope all is well with you
Replies
Views
I am so glad that you decided to go and see someone. Please don't ever think that you are crazy or that anyone else might ever think it. You had to grow up with a Narcissistic Mother and I cannot even begin to think how difficult that must have been! My ex boyfriend was like that and you go through hell and back trying to please them and eventually fall apart because there is just no pleasing such a person. The helpless feeling of failure over and over :( You are looking for help which just...
Replies
Views
Hello Cat Dancer Do not judge yourself too harshly. You are a survivor and are doing something to get better. Be kind to yourself as the the people in your past might not have been kind. You have suffered enough that you should never be hard on yourself..... here I am talking and I often demolish my self esteem. Oh well I figure if I say it often enough I will believe it and do it :confused I also read your thread about fear of loving and being loved. That can also be a fear of inner...
Replies
Views
I hadnt actually ever looked at it like that.... that all she wanted was to shake off the family and life i had built, and start me somewhere else... but it makes alot of sense...
Replies
Views