More threads by Painfully-Silent

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: about natural supplements

I just came across this post today - my apologies for the lack of a previous response.

There are certain supplements that seem beneficial in managing anxiety and depression, notably:

• trying to increase the amount of Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids in your diet or via supplements such as salmon oil
  • chamomile tea seems to have a mild anxiety-reduction (tranquilizing) effect
  • vitamin B-12 seems to help with depression and perhaps anxiety

Be wary of most "herbal medications" such as St. John's Wort. They may work in some cases but they are not without side-effects and they can interact in surprising ways with other medications such as birth control pills or SSRIs.

Similar threads

Treating Depression with Natural Supplements: SAM-e and 5-HTP by Merely Me Monday, June 22, 2009 In my last post, I began our discussion of treating depression with natural supplements with many warnings. I am going to stress some of those warnings again. When you buy vitamins, herbs, and supplements, just because they are "natural" does not mean they won't have any side effects or interactions with other medications and supplements. Natural remedies are also not regulated by the FDA...
Replies
Views
Contaminants lurk in many ?natural? products Tues., June 9, 2009 Tests find some herbal supplements may be doing more harm than good Lead in ginkgo pills. Arsenic in herbals. Bugs in a baby's colic and teething syrup. Toxic metals and parasites are part of nature, and all of these have been found in "natural" products and dietary supplements in recent years. Set aside the issue of whether vitamin and herbal supplements do any good. Are they safe? Is what's on the label really what's in...
Replies
Views
Multiple “Dr. King’s” homeopathic and “Natural Pet” veterinary products recalled due to potential microbial contamination Health Canada September 1, 2018 Health Canada is advising consumers and pet owners not to use homeopathic and veterinary products made by King Bio Inc. and labeled as "Dr. King's," "Dr King's Natural Pet" or "Natural Pet." These products may pose a health risk to people and pets, especially children, pregnant women and those with compromised immune systems, because...
Replies
Views
Sisu Inc. voluntarily recalls numerous natural health products because the glass bottles may contain glass fragments Recalls and Safety Alerts - Health Canada February 22, 2018 Health Canada is advising Canadians that Sisu Inc. has voluntarily recalled numerous natural health products because the glass bottles that the products are packaged in may contain glass fragments, which may pose serious health risks if ingested or handled. Product UPC NPN Lot Numbers...
Replies
Views
Probably, but I was unable to find it with simple searches. Pretty scary when you think of the faith people have in natural products.
Replies
Views