More threads by Cavi

Cavi

I was diagnosed with BPD when I was 37. My teens and 20's was full of raging, broken relationships and always on an emotional roller coaster. 30's and 40's I mellowed no more raging. Up until recently I thought my BPD was under control for the most part.

Than I became good friends with a lady that is 16 years older than me. That is when the BPD came back as strong as it was, when I was younger except I still do not rage. Recently we had a huge misunderstanding and I almost lost the friendship. She says that I verbally attacked her in an email.

My side it was a normal correspondence. But I apologized anyway and we were able to talk things out. The problem is she knows I have BPD and I had to promise her to never act BPD again. I am aware when my thoughts go that way and know to use tools until it passes. But still it is like someone telling a person with Major Depression to never be depressed.

I am hoping by coming back here I can get back on the right track again. Cavi

Max10

If that person is truly your friend they will accept you as you are instead of requiring you to be someone you are not. Obviously this 'friend' is not educated about your condition or she would know you can't change it for her. You can only be yourself and do your best to not upset your friend.
Good luck....sounds difficult.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Your sentiments are well-intended, Max, but the reality is that someone with borderline personality disorder has great difficulty with boundaries and with categorical/devil-or-angel thinking. To be a good friend to someone with BPD requires defending your boundaries consistently. This is not cruelty. That's what the BPD individual needs.

Cavi

Thank you Max
Dr. Baxter is right, I do better with strong boundaries. And my friend is right, I should of used my tools and I did not. That will not happen again. Cavi

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.