More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

The main goal of acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) is to increase psychological flexibility. ACT is a form of therapy that aims to help people accept unavoidable events, identify actions that will lead to goals, and acknowledge thoughts rather than accepting or disregarding them.[21] When psychological flexibility was targeted in one study of ACT, there was a stronger reduction in psychological distress.[22] There are six core processes in ACT interventions: acceptance, cognitive defusion, self as context, being present, values, and committed action.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
We have lots of socially established rules about self-worth. People want to be acceptable to themselves and others. Unfortunately, because of verbal evaluation, at the level of content no one is truly acceptable. I sometimes ask my clients to name one thing in the physical universe that they can’t find fault with. Usually they can’t. Then I ask, “So why should you be an exception?”

If the “you” one takes oneself to be is this observer “you,” these rules of self-worth are handled fairly easily. . . . Only things can be evaluated, and at the deepest level one cannot experience onself in the sense of “you as perspective” to be a thing.

~ Steve Harris (quoted in ACT Observer Exercise)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“The Great Way is not difficult for those who have no preferences. When love and hate are both absent everything becomes clear and undisguised. Make the smallest distinction, however, and heaven and earth are set infinitely apart. If you wish to see the truth then hold no opinion for or against. The struggle of what one likes and what one dislikes is the disease of the mind.”

Hsin Hsin Ming

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“Perhaps the most liberating moment in my life was when I realized that my self-loathing was not a product of my inadequacy but, rather, a product of my thoughts.”

“To be courageous, we must be willing to surrender our perfectionism, if only for a moment. If my self-worth is attached to being flawless, why would I ever try to learn anything new? After all, learning requires mistakes.”

― Vironika Tugaleva, The Love Mindset: An Unconventional Guide to Healing and Happiness

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 9.20.49 AM.jpg

Regarding social anxiety:

“Paradoxically, accepting that you’re just not a confident person and you’re always going to feel a little off around other people will begin to make you feel more comfortable and less anxious around others. You won’t judge yourself, and then you’ll feel less judged by them as well.”

~ Mark Manson

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Some people find that when they first practice self-compassion, their pain actually increases some.

“We call this phenomena backdraft, a firefighting term that describes what happens when a door in a burning house is opened—oxygen goes in and flames rush out,” explains Kristin Neff, PhD, co-founder of the Center for Mindful Self-Compassion. “A similar process can occur when we open the door of our hearts—love goes in and old pain comes out.

Validate emotions but don’t add fuel to the fire. Be gentle. Show yourself patience. One powerful exercise suggested by Neff is to write out exactly how you would respond to a friend in the same situation you are condemning yourself for.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Acceptance is such an important part of happiness, contentment, health, and growth that some people have called it the 'first law of personal growth."

~Peter McWilliams, "You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought" {page 417}

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“It’s toughest to forgive ourselves. So, it’s probably best to start with other people. It’s almost like peeling an onion. Layer by layer, forgiving others, you really do get to the point where you can forgive yourself.”

—Patty Duke, actress and mental health advocate with bipolar

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Self-as-context, one of the core principles in acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), is the concept that people are not the content of their thoughts or feelings, but rather the consciousness experiencing said thoughts and feelings.

Self-as-context is distinguished from self-as-content, defined in ACT as the social scripts people maintain about who they are and how they operate in the world.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"Self-as-context" (SAC) - sometimes also called "self-as-observer" - refers to a theory of self that is not grounded in self-evaluations. In this understanding of the self, we are able to "experience a perspective where we are neither defined by nor harmed by our own thoughts and feelings."

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"It may be difficult to accept something you do not like but you can definitely accept a tiny bit of it — an atom."

“An uncommitted mind is miserable. A committed mind may at times experience rough weather but it will reap the fruits of its toil.”

― Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, Celebrating Silence

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.