More threads by gardens

gardens

Do I have a right to ask and see my medical records that are with my psychiatrist?

I am in transition between doctors at the moment - Mine left the country in May and I was supposed to have a new one by now but have been asked to call the office in another 6 six weeks, seems they haven't found a replacement. This is okay - I feel stable(ish) and my GP is great.

But there is something in there that I've always thought never should be. I asked my last doc about it and he said that their would be notes attached to it to put an incident in context. But I'd like to be sure of it myself.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: Access to records that my psychiatrist hold

In Canada, you can request medical (or any other information) through the offices of the Freedom of Information Act.

However, when that request is forwarded to a physician or other health care professional, be aware that there is a clause which may exempt certain information from being released if it is deemed to have the potential to not be in the best interests of the patient.

In practice, when the health care professional requests this exemption, I believe it is denied or ignored more often than not but it is nonetheless part of the Act.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.