More threads by CrystalDreamer59

I asked my therapist rather she thought I had ADHD since I've been labeled as ADHD in the past so she started going through the diagnosis criteria for ADHD, and I noticed some similarities between the highly sensitive person and ADHD. Now I'm wondering if maybe all the people diagnosed with ADHD are actually highly sensitive people.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
No. First, HSP is a description of a type of person or personality, not a diagnosis. There are links between HSPs and creativity, depression, anxiety, self-doubt, and other issues but that doesn't make them the same thing.

An HSP may have ADHD or any of the other conditions I mentioned. But there are also many people with ADHD who have no HSP characteristics at all.

So if ADHD and being a HSP are two different things how can I tell which one I am or even if I'm both. Perhaps I should discuss about highly sensitive people to my therapist.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Again, HSP is not a diagnosis. It's merely a way of describing people who are more physically and emotionally sensitive to their internal and external (including social) environments.

It's not either - or.

The HSP part, if that accurately describes you, has nothing to do with whether or not the diagnosis of ADHD is appropriate for you.

Okay I understand now. I'll look again at the description of a HSP and also look up ADHD. I still think I'm more of a highly sensitive person then ADHD.

I think talking to your therapist is a good thought hun he or she will be able to explain more to you about what each is and is not. I have been told i have ADHD my thoughts race so fast at times and i have also been told i am a highly sensitive person a trait hun a personality that some people are just born with.

I'm going to start up this discussion again because I have another question concerning ADHD and HSP. Is it possible for an HSP to be hyperactive and have lots of energy to the point that it make it hard for them to focus sometimes.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'm going to start up this discussion again because I have another question concerning ADHD and HSP. Is it possible for an HSP to be hyperactive and have lots of energy to the point that it make it hard for them to focus sometimes.

Did you read some of the previous posts in this thread?

Especially:

Again, HSP is not a diagnosis. It's merely a way of describing people who are more physically and emotionally sensitive to their internal and external (including social) environments.

It's not either - or.

The HSP part, if that accurately describes you, has nothing to do with whether or not the diagnosis of ADHD is appropriate for you.

Again, one is a personality type and the other is a mental health diagnosis.

I would also add that the fact that you may feel you are sensitive to "negative energy", as you stated in another thread, does not rule out a diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome.

Yes I have read the previous post. Probably not as well as I should have. As for Asperger's Syndrome my current therapist is very certain that I don't have it.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I am not disputing your diagnosis, Crystal. I'm merely clarifying that your stated reason for rejecting that diagnosis, i.e., that you believe you are sensitive to negative energy, would not rule it out.

The diagnosis is between you and your doctors. We do not permit online diagnosis on this web site.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
A diagnosis is not a negative label. It's simply a diagnosis, a description of signs and symptoms.

Mental health: What's normal, what's not - MayoClinic.com

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) is a guide published by the American Psychiatric Association that explains the signs and symptoms that mark more than 300 types of mental health conditions. Mental health providers use the DSM to diagnose everything from anorexia to voyeurism and, if necessary, determine appropriate treatment. Health insurance companies also use the DSM to determine coverage and benefits and to reimburse mental health providers.

How do mental health providers diagnose mental health conditions?
To determine if you have a mental health condition, a mental health provider will work with you and your loved ones to assess:

• Your signs and symptoms. Your mental health provider will ask about your signs and symptoms, when they began and how they've affected your life. How you perceive your thoughts and behaviors and how much your signs and symptoms affect your daily activities can help determine what's normal for you. For instance, you might realize that you aren't coping well or that you don't want to do the things you used to enjoy. You might feel sad, hopeless or discouraged. If your sadness has a specific cause, such as divorce, your feelings could be a normal, temporary reaction. However, if you have signs and symptoms that are severe or don't go away, you could have depression. You might also need to have a physical exam to rule out any underlying health conditions.
  • Others' perceptions. Your perceptions alone might not give you an accurate picture of your behavior, thoughts or ability to function. Other people in your life can help you understand whether your behavior is normal or healthy. For example, if you have bipolar disorder, you might think your mood swings are just part of the normal ups and downs of life. Your thoughts and actions, however, might appear abnormal to others or cause problems at work, in relationships or in other areas of your life.

Banned

Banned
No. A diagnosis is simply a statement of what is. It allows your insurance company and physicians to respond accordingly. Besides them, no one needs to be aware of a diagnosis.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.