More threads by blubel2

blubel2

Hi I am new to this forum. Our son 21 is going back to school. In high school he took ritalin but once he graduated decided to stop taking it. Both my husband and myself advised him to see about alternative medication but he seems to think that he can get through school without it. He is very forgetful, suffers from depression,distacted and quick tempered. I would like college to be a positve experience as high school was a struggle. I would like some advice please?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The first thing he would be advised to do is to contact the "disabilities" office at the college. If he has a previous diagnosisof ADHD, in most cases he will be eligible for special services which may include alternate arrangements for writing exams or assignments, extra time to complete assignements, etc. (I even heard of one case where a university supplied the ADHD student with a laptop for taking notes, although that's probably rare.)

Second, make sure he is aware that there are many options other than Ritalin, which a lot of individuals with ADHD do not like to take. For example, there are now some non-stimulant ADHD medications available which seem to work well and don't have the side-effects of Ritalin or dexadrine. Also, if he is suffering from depression in addition to exhibiting ADHD symptoms, he might find one of the SSRIs like Prozac or a related medication like Wellbutrin helpful, for both issues.

blubel2

He started off going that route. In high school he had a "red file" and did get through with a lot of help. He was diagnosed in 1994 and the college wanted certification in writing that was more recent. When he tried that route it seemed to be taking too long and I think he was getting frustrated. He decided to just go ahead and register as a student without a disability. I do not know if he can change his status, he does not want my help. I am actually quite impressed that he has done it all on his own the registration and applying for a student loan. My concern is in the way he learns which I seem to recall they said was top down processing? and reports in school were sometimes given verbally because he does not write well although he can type 60 wpm.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Up here, with documentation, you can apply for disability after starting the program. I'd also point out that he may not need to be retested necessarily - just have someone document the diagnosis.

You don't "grow out of" ADHD, in spite ofthe prevailing belief in the 50s.

What part of the world, approximately, is he living in?

ThatLady

If he insists on doing it on his own, and it sounds like he does, get him a really good tape recorder so he can record lectures and classes. That way, he can listen to the recording. He might be able to get permission to submit his reports that way, as well. If he has trouble in a given class, most colleges have peer tutors who will be more than glad to work with him.

Hopefully, he will be able to make it his way. If not, you can always suggest that he approach the school officials concerning special dispensations if it turns out he needs them.

blubel2

Thank you for your advice. We live in BC. I was thinking of a tape recorder, when I went back to school it was of great help to me. I will get him to read this and see what he has to say. Thank you for your help.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
1. Think about looking into Adderall or Concerta for him.

2. Perhaps make a few phone calls to psychologists in the area who could just write a note based on history and the Connors Checklist or one of the other ADHD screening tools - this need not involve an extensive battery of tests.

I think anyone who has a dissability has the right to go to college. I think its great because I hear so many people teachers family kids say oh that kid wont make it to college. But anyway I agree with David Baxter go to the dissablity office, they could help out allot. Good luck

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.