More threads by sweetanise

jkb said:
For the most part like u said sweetanise I/we have been the ones looking/researching for help..not our doctors..us..and then like you said we end up back to square one..and even more lost..and scared...and frustrated and stressed galore.
There really is lack of education, resources and funding about agora..and something NEEDS to be done about this all..I know we can't be theo only 2 people in Ottawa/Ontario..

When all is said and done, when your support system is crubling before your eyes and you know you can't and/or don't want to have to rely on family and friends, what is there left to do? Have yourself interned in a psych ward? I wonder...

yes my thinking to..but for what again? for a few days as i've been told? IF that. Then you are right back to where you were!

I totally understand David Baxter about you needing to charge etc. That is feasible and understandable..but i thik what we are trying to say or i am, is so what happens to us? where are sliding fees?/payment options? Some of us like I DO need a therapist, but can't get there..do to the fear /anxiety etc..yet we want the help. I guess the thing to is its sad..those that want help a lot of times can't due to all the reasons we've stated..

hence we are left more so in the dark..more afraid and NOT getting better..and that isn't right :(

Jen

Yep! You've said it all, and much more succinctly then I have. It's the most frustrating situation! I'm really sorry you're having so much trouble with your ISP and phone provider, Jen. You really don't deserve that!

And, David, I wasn't saying that doctors and therapists like yourself shouldn't charge for their services. I understand that they need to make a living, as we all do. Rather, I was trying to make the point that, for people who are financially unstable like Jen and I are and in our situation, there doesn't seem to be any viable help available. I became ill straight out of university and didn't have time to start a career and therefore be eligible for extra private medical insurance or even UI benefits. People who do are able to afford the taxi ride to the clinic and back, can pay their private psychologist's fees. They get the help they need. I don't.

I'm not a bad person, I'm smart and creative, you know? I have as much worth as anyone else has. But because my illness is of the psychological sort and I'm poor, I can't seem to get proper help for it. If I had had to put my life on hold for any other kind of serious physical illness, like MS or breast cancer, I wonder if I'd have had as much trouble finding decent health care. I suspect not.

Sorry about all the complaining, but I'm really at my wits' end right now, and I know Jen is too. What the f**k are we supposed to do? It really seems to me that there's nothing we can do, other than what we've been doing already.

Anyway.

Jen, did you have any luck with the Institute of mental health at the U of O? And are you saying that we're not eligible for ParaTranspo?

I still need to phone the Psychiatric Survivors of Ottawa (Colleen at 567-4379) and the Agoraphobic Support Group (828-2685). If you reach them before I do, please let me know what they say. That is if you still have access to the Internet/phone... :-(

Mel

jkb said:
For the most part like u said sweetanise I/we have been the ones looking/researching for help..not our doctors..us..and then like you said we end up back to square one..and even more lost..and scared...and frustrated and stressed galore.
There really is lack of education, resources and funding about agora..and something NEEDS to be done about this all..I know we can't be theo only 2 people in Ottawa/Ontario..

When all is said and done, when your support system is crubling before your eyes and you know you can't and/or don't want to have to rely on family and friends, what is there left to do? Have yourself interned in a psych ward? I wonder...

yes my thinking to..but for what again? for a few days as i've been told? IF that. Then you are right back to where you were!

I totally understand David Baxter about you needing to charge etc. That is feasible and understandable..but i thik what we are trying to say or i am, is so what happens to us? where are sliding fees?/payment options? Some of us like I DO need a therapist, but can't get there..do to the fear /anxiety etc..yet we want the help. I guess the thing to is its sad..those that want help a lot of times can't due to all the reasons we've stated..

hence we are left more so in the dark..more afraid and NOT getting better..and that isn't right :(

Jen

Yep! You've said it all, and much more succinctly then I have. It's the most frustrating situation! I'm really sorry you're having so much trouble with your ISP and phone provider, Jen. You really don't deserve that!

And, David, I wasn't saying that doctors and therapists like yourself shouldn't charge for their services. I understand that they need to make a living, as we all do. Rather, I was trying to make the point that, for people who are financially unstable like Jen and I are and in our situation, there doesn't seem to be any viable help available. I became ill straight out of university and didn't have time to start a career and therefore be eligible for extra private medical insurance or even UI benefits. People who do are able to afford the taxi ride to the clinic and back, can pay their private psychologist's fees. They get the help they need. I don't.

I'm not a bad person, I'm smart and creative, you know? I have as much worth as anyone else has. But because my illness is of the psychological sort and I'm poor, I can't seem to get proper help for it. If I had had to put my life on hold for any other kind of serious physical illness, like MS or breast cancer, I wonder if I'd have had as much trouble finding decent health care. I suspect not.

Sorry about all the complaining, but I'm really at my wits' end right now, and I know Jen is too. What the f**k are we supposed to do? It really seems to me that there's nothing we can do, other than what we've been doing already.

Anyway.

Jen, did you have any luck with the Institute of mental health at the U of O? And are you saying that we're not eligible for ParaTranspo?

I still need to phone the Psychiatric Survivors of Ottawa (Colleen at 567-4379) and the Agoraphobic Support Group (828-2685). If you reach them before I do, please let me know what they say. That is if you still have access to the Internet/phone... :-(

Mel

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I fully understand. I do in fact offer sliding fees, payment options, even pro bono services too when I am able to. But that wasn't my only or even main point: I could make a house call and charge nothing at all but I would still need to find a way to make up that lost income. There is a perception that doctors and psychologists are wealthy but believe me that is far from true.

The real problem is that there is in many areas -- definitely in Ontario -- a hopelessly limited supply of services for people who cannot afford private treatment or even assistance with transportation, etc. The situation has been deteriorating for over a decade now in Ontario and all the political rhetoric and finger-pointing isn't showing any signs at all of improving the situation.

I could urge those that are able to volunteer more but even than there would be a serious shortage of services to many of the most needy people in our communities. One of the reasons I have such disdain for politics and politicians is that I don't think the majority of them have the vaguest idea how many people are facing what you folks are describing -- and I wonder if they would care the slightest if they did know.

I don't know what the solution is, to be honest. My approach to these issues has always been one-to-one but there will always be someone else in need who receives nothing. Somehow, we as a society that pretends to be compassionate are going to need to give the problem some serious attention, not simply more photo ops and empty words.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I fully understand. I do in fact offer sliding fees, payment options, even pro bono services too when I am able to. But that wasn't my only or even main point: I could make a house call and charge nothing at all but I would still need to find a way to make up that lost income. There is a perception that doctors and psychologists are wealthy but believe me that is far from true.

The real problem is that there is in many areas -- definitely in Ontario -- a hopelessly limited supply of services for people who cannot afford private treatment or even assistance with transportation, etc. The situation has been deteriorating for over a decade now in Ontario and all the political rhetoric and finger-pointing isn't showing any signs at all of improving the situation.

I could urge those that are able to volunteer more but even than there would be a serious shortage of services to many of the most needy people in our communities. One of the reasons I have such disdain for politics and politicians is that I don't think the majority of them have the vaguest idea how many people are facing what you folks are describing -- and I wonder if they would care the slightest if they did know.

I don't know what the solution is, to be honest. My approach to these issues has always been one-to-one but there will always be someone else in need who receives nothing. Somehow, we as a society that pretends to be compassionate are going to need to give the problem some serious attention, not simply more photo ops and empty words.

jkb

sweetanise said:
[

Anyway.

Mel

Yep That is the question..what are we suppose to do..

and people wonder why we get more frustrated, more sad, more anxious, more discouraged etc etc.....

I'm still sitting here..wondering what to do about the phone/net etc thing..i mean honestly..icould right now send them that x amount and be safe..and have the net/phone etc..for my needs wich are valid needs..but that would jeoperdize my rent..it would bounce..yet sometimes i wonder..whats more important? bouncing rent? or having/keeping communication aka the only comm. i have now. yk?

stressed..

no i didn't call the u of o yet..just been 'jumbled' in thoughts..wondering..worrying etc.

I recall calling one support group for agors..i recall them not offering that anymore.I wonder if its the same place?

*shaking head*..

As for transportation via ODSP you are already given 15 dollars included in your chq for transportation, and i was told that you could get funding for transportation ONLY if you go more then 5x's a month .

flustered and stressed here still.

*shaking head*..

Jen

jkb

sweetanise said:
[

Anyway.

Mel

Yep That is the question..what are we suppose to do..

and people wonder why we get more frustrated, more sad, more anxious, more discouraged etc etc.....

I'm still sitting here..wondering what to do about the phone/net etc thing..i mean honestly..icould right now send them that x amount and be safe..and have the net/phone etc..for my needs wich are valid needs..but that would jeoperdize my rent..it would bounce..yet sometimes i wonder..whats more important? bouncing rent? or having/keeping communication aka the only comm. i have now. yk?

stressed..

no i didn't call the u of o yet..just been 'jumbled' in thoughts..wondering..worrying etc.

I recall calling one support group for agors..i recall them not offering that anymore.I wonder if its the same place?

*shaking head*..

As for transportation via ODSP you are already given 15 dollars included in your chq for transportation, and i was told that you could get funding for transportation ONLY if you go more then 5x's a month .

flustered and stressed here still.

*shaking head*..

Jen

jkb

David Baxter said:

I don't know what the solution is, to be honest. My approach to these issues has always been one-to-one but there will always be someone else in need who receives nothing. Somehow, we as a society that pretends to be compassionate are going to need to give the peoblem some serious attention, not simply more photo ops and empty words.

Very true indeed..and until then, that day..'we' continue to suffer, struggle, and yearn to be heard and helped...

Sad thing is, is that you see commercials etc for depression, ADD, etc, etc etc..yet NOTHING on anxiety..nothing at all. Why so?

jkb

David Baxter said:

I don't know what the solution is, to be honest. My approach to these issues has always been one-to-one but there will always be someone else in need who receives nothing. Somehow, we as a society that pretends to be compassionate are going to need to give the peoblem some serious attention, not simply more photo ops and empty words.

Very true indeed..and until then, that day..'we' continue to suffer, struggle, and yearn to be heard and helped...

Sad thing is, is that you see commercials etc for depression, ADD, etc, etc etc..yet NOTHING on anxiety..nothing at all. Why so?

jkb

Well both of these numbers are none existant..well they have nothing to do with agora

Agoraphobic Support Group (828-2685).

Agoraphobic Support Group 722-3765

and:
Agoraphobia Peer Support Network (613) 729-6761 is the
Anxiety Disorders Association of Ontario which we know doesn't provide help aka peer support.

I'm still stiiting here torn wether to just pay that x amount to save my services and deal with the rent later..i don't know..

i just can't loose all..

jkb

Well both of these numbers are none existant..well they have nothing to do with agora

Agoraphobic Support Group (828-2685).

Agoraphobic Support Group 722-3765

and:
Agoraphobia Peer Support Network (613) 729-6761 is the
Anxiety Disorders Association of Ontario which we know doesn't provide help aka peer support.

I'm still stiiting here torn wether to just pay that x amount to save my services and deal with the rent later..i don't know..

i just can't loose all..

jkb

sweetanise i hope you are doing ok.

I'm sitting here still a mess ..and so i called ODSP again..for i had talked to my provider today and am so very close to being cut it isn't funny..any day..hour he said..and the woman there..was NOT nice. I wasn't mean, rude etc..i was calling back to see if they had heard if they could do anyting for me..or help me..

She said "we have left a message for the city of ottawa essential needs , u do the same, and that's it. Good bye."

Really nice..so i call again leave another message, yet it can still be another 3 days..and I could be compl. cut from all my services.

i'm very stressed out..flustered more..and sitting here so tempted to just use rent money and pay them..so i'm not left in the dark..but then there are consequences there to..

sorry if it seems like i'm repeating myself, i just don't know what to do..and am very stressed about this all.

trying to hold on,
jen

jkb

I'm sitting here still a mess ..and so i called ODSP again..for i had talked to my provider today and am so very close to being cut it isn't funny..any day..hour he said..and the woman there..was NOT nice. I wasn't mean, rude etc..i was calling back to see if they had heard if they could do anyting for me..or help me..

She said "we have left a message for the city of ottawa essential needs , u do the same, and that's it. Good bye."

Really nice..so i call again leave another message, yet it can still be another 3 days..and I could be compl. cut from all my services.

i'm very stressed out..flustered more..and sitting here so tempted to just use rent money and pay them..so i'm not left in the dark..but then there are consequences there to..

sorry if it seems like i'm repeating myself, i just don't know what to do..and am very stressed about this all.

trying to hold on,
jen

jkb said:

Hi Jen,

I was going to say that it is part of the job requirements for the bill collectors (the people who call you to make sure you pay your bills) to be mean and intimidating. But then I reread your post and realized that that's not what you meant at all. You meant that the lady at ODSP was nasty. That sucks. I guess everyone is overworked and stressing out.

Can you contact your landlord to explain your situation? That rent will be a little late this month?

I really understand how you feel, though. Once I've paid rent and utilities, I usually don't have enough for groceries. I haven't starved yet, thanks to a few persons generosity. Plus, I'm fat, so it would take a good while for me to waste away, right? But it's hard not to have enough $ to live on, isn't it?

I'm doing okay. However, that's probably because I'm ignoring my problems right now, for the most part, spending my time lost in a good book. I've got a wedding to go to this weekend and I'm not sure just how I'll do it. I think I need to start doing breathing exercises now!

Please take care. I'll be thinking about you.

Mel

jkb said:

Hi Jen,

I was going to say that it is part of the job requirements for the bill collectors (the people who call you to make sure you pay your bills) to be mean and intimidating. But then I reread your post and realized that that's not what you meant at all. You meant that the lady at ODSP was nasty. That sucks. I guess everyone is overworked and stressing out.

Can you contact your landlord to explain your situation? That rent will be a little late this month?

I really understand how you feel, though. Once I've paid rent and utilities, I usually don't have enough for groceries. I haven't starved yet, thanks to a few persons generosity. Plus, I'm fat, so it would take a good while for me to waste away, right? But it's hard not to have enough $ to live on, isn't it?

I'm doing okay. However, that's probably because I'm ignoring my problems right now, for the most part, spending my time lost in a good book. I've got a wedding to go to this weekend and I'm not sure just how I'll do it. I think I need to start doing breathing exercises now!

Please take care. I'll be thinking about you.

Mel

jkb

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I will update more soon. I'm sick, came down with a cold just yesturday..:( I'm presuming its from all the stress??? Cuz i haven't been anywhere. anyhow ..i feel crummy.

I want to say i'm thinking of you Mel this weekend. u can do it !!! :)

jen

jkb

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I will update more soon. I'm sick, came down with a cold just yesturday..:( I'm presuming its from all the stress??? Cuz i haven't been anywhere. anyhow ..i feel crummy.

I want to say i'm thinking of you Mel this weekend. u can do it !!! :)

jen

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.