More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Agoraphobia Ohio State University)

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself--nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance" -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

The central feature of Agoraphobia is anxiety about being in places or situations from which escape might be difficult or embarrassing or in which help may not be available in the event of having a panic attack or panic-like symptoms (DSM-IV, 1994).

Although agoraphobia can exist both with and without panic disorder, in a majority of individuals the restrictions in behavior occur as part of their fear of having a panic attack in an "unsafe" or public place. This can lead these individuals to severely curtail even everyday activities such as driving, working, or even leaving the house. In others, they can face their feared situation only with a trusted companion or "safe person." This occurs in approximately 1/3 of all individuals with panic disorder.

Individuals with agoraphobia avoid any situation they fear would make them harm themselves, embarrass them, or in which they would be helpless should a panic attack occur.

Do you have Agoraphobia or Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia?
Check here to find out more about the clinical signs and symptoms of Agoraphobia (with and without Panic Disorder).

With proper treatment, however, individuals can learn to face their fears and can begin to engage in previously feared and restricted behaviors.

Attachments

• ppatthemovies_niemiec_wedding.jpg
    ppatthemovies_niemiec_wedding.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 898

Similar threads

An Overview of Agoraphobia and Its Treatment by Fredric Neuman MD November 26, 2013 I developed an interest in phobias, and in agoraphobia in particular, in 1954, as the result of developing the condition myself. One day without any evident reason I became panicky. I had the feeling I was going to go crazy or scream or in some way lose control of myself. It was a dramatic and inexplicable feeling. It was obvious, I thought, that something terrible was the matter with me. After...
Replies
Views
Generalized anxiety disorder: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia Update: 1/15/2009 Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a pattern of frequent, constant worry and anxiety over many different activities and events. Causes Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a common condition. The cause of GAD is not known, but biological and psychological factors play a role. Stressful life situations or behavior developed through learning may also contribute to GAD. The disorder may start at any time...
Replies
Views
Hi Justhere, Thank you for your input & good advice:)
Replies
Views
I can't answer the question on 'dealing' as I have PTSD myself but have learned to control it for the most part. I think you have done amazing in such a short time. Feisty:peek:
Replies
Views
I understand how you feel I have agoraphobia too. I have to go out alone now and have been doing so for over 18 months after losing all my help, its very hard indeed and although I do it it stresses me a tires me out. I go out early when theres not alot of people about, no queues and that is better, that feeling of being stuck with no excape is not so strong when the shops and streets are empty, what I have had to do is to try and adapt my life round my illness so I can get the basics done...
Replies
Views