More threads by David Baxter PhD

just mary

Hi again,

I haven't tried AA, because I feel uncomfortable around people that I don't know.

One thing I like about the meetings is that I don't have to say anything, I can just listen if I want to. I still feel anxious at the meetings but afterwards I feel a little bit better and a bit stronger. It took me two weeks before I told anyone I was going to the meetings and it's only my husband that knows now. I'm still worried about telling the rest of my family and friends.

My problem is that my husband wants things normal again, so when we go out to restaurants he thinks I'll be ok if I have 2 or 3 beers...and I am ok, but then it makes me want more....he doesn't understand at all....even after all that I've been through this year.

That sounds difficult. I wish I could offer you some suggestions other than just saying no but sometimes that's all you can do. I've been told to say the serenity prayer over and over in my head until the feeling passes. Sometimes it works. Or you could try telling him that you want to save some money and you would just like water or pop. How could he argue with that? :)

In all seriousness though you have to take control and responsibility for yourself, you don't have to drink anything if you don't want to, you have every right to say no to alcohol. Because as soon as you take that first drink, alcohol has the control or at least it does with me.

Good luck and take care,

still struggling

Hi Mary,

I'm still struggling with my alcohol problems. I've recently reached out to an AA online group, and it helps reading about others struggling with the same addiction. I also am being treated for GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and depression with Lexapro. It seems to make me feel happier, but then something triggers my craving to have beer or wine....and it's especially hard with this holiday when family and friends are having cookouts, etc. I also have an eating disorder I've been struggling with all my life...It really helps to chat with people that have common problems going on in their lives. I don't feel so alone...Thanks for listening...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.