More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Many of the deceased were over the age of 65 and had histories of physical or mental health problems, fitting the profile of those who are more at risk.

From the CBC article, but Ontario also has a growing population that would fit that description.

Otherwise, similar temperatures and humidex readings.

I haven't seen an explanation for why so many deaths occurred in Quebec in any of the reports so far.

I know a few nrsg homes without a/c but they usually get fans in and really push water on the clients it is pathetic the hospital does not have it really people are sick already and then have to fight heat on top of it very very sad.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It keeps getting worse...

Death toll rises to 54 as Quebec heat wave ends | Globalnews.ca

Quebec health officials say there are now at least 54 reported deaths that have been linked to a heat wave that blanketed the province over the last few days.

Twenty-eight of those deaths are in Montreal.

Public health director Horacio Arruda pointed out most of those who died were members of vulnerable communities, such as people who lived alone or lived with chronic or mental illness.

They were mostly men aged between 53 and 85; none of them had air conditioning in their homes.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
It seems with global warming that the Quebec government may want to subsidize A/C for low-income elderly folks.

In Florida, the state would sometimes pay for energy-efficient A/C units including installation.

Really cooled down alot tonight have all the windows open. My house that was 88 degrees now is 78 a temperature i can live with.
I may be able to sleep better tonight i know i can breath better.

I do think everyone should have at least a window air conditioner so one room in the house can be cooled down.

I hope that Quebec like Ontario gets laws set up that all hospitals and nursing homes are to have air conditioning installed or else they close down. I also think schools if they are to be open through summer they too need air con installed.

People lives should come first over money really hospitals are to save lives not take them .

GaryQ

MVP
Glad things are bit cooler out east. Weiurd how we are smoldering above 30C when that's cool for some places in the world.

Going to be 34C here today and what's really weird is normally in the prairies when it's really hot or really cold it's usually drier but we've had higher than normal humidity this summer. Going to be hovering around 30C all week. My A/C (8000BTU) in the living room is set for 20C (68F) and it's keeping both rooms cool bedroom is about 1 degree warmer on average and seems to be in fan mode more than in cooling mode. Put a towel at bottom of door to keep air from hot muggy hallway out as much as possible.

Today will be the real test as to how the A/C really keeps up. Good thing here in the country it cools down more than in the city overnight. Really looking forward to opening my car door and getting in it at 5:30. :panic:Will start it up turn A/C on and come back in while it cools down a bit

GaryQ

MVP
Good one Daniel :D

Actually it's quite simple converting from Celsius to Fahrenheit:
Start with Celsius add 32 and 1.8 for every degree or subtract 1.8 for negative temps.

Example : 10C = 32 + (10 x 1.8 = 18) = 50F
-10C = 32 - (10 x 1.8 = 18) = 14F
Cool fact : Only one temp you're sure not to get wrong if it's F or C is -40 as -40C is -40F :)

Or just Google and convert that works quite well actually :lol:

GaryQ

MVP
As for the temp here today it felt like I was back in Montreal, muggy and hot, 33C (91.4F) and my car was as expected, an oven, but the A/C did it's job and my apartment A/C did it's job without effort and I was even able to turn it off to watch Rampage.

:woohoo:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I just watched Rampage a couple of days ago. Silly in some ways (objectively) but I really enjoyed it. :D

Tonight I watched the remake of Tomb Raider/I]. Also quite well done. Good action movie. Decent plot. I could never finish the old one with Angelina Jolie - really not a fan of her. And the special effects in the new one are a lot better.

GaryQ

MVP
Same review here. Had a few good laughs throughout the movie.
i also saw the new Tomb Raider was not bad.

Actually it's quite simple converting from Celsius to Fahrenheit:
Start with Celsius add 32 and 1.8 for every degree or subtract 1.8 for negative temps.

Example : 10C = 32 + (10 x 1.8 = 18) = 50F
-10C = 32 - (10 x 1.8 = 18) = 14F
Cool fact : Only one temp you're sure not to get wrong if it's F or C is -40 as -40C is -40F :)

Or just Google and convert that works quite well actually :lol:
This right here is the reason I downloaded a unit conversion app for my phone.:computer:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.