More threads by momof5

momof5

Recently my prescription company changed and we are required to mail in our prescriptions.

I finally after a couple of months of problems now have all my medications back. The altace was the last to arrive.

For the past two weeks I have been experienceing problems with my neck swelling, and weird taste in my mouth along with numbness in the lips on and off. More then normal problems with swolling things.

My question is this, are there different maunfacturers of the altace medication? I did not have any problems with the pharmacy brand that I was getting.

I wasn't sure what was causing the problem at first, and tried to figure out what changed over the past couple of weeks, the altace was the only thing that I could think of.

Stopped 2 days ago taking it, and the swelling problem is going away. Only very slight problem with it right now.

I do have a dr appt upcoming, but it is bugging me as to what could be causing this.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Altace and other ACE inhibitors are generally pretty safe but there are some infrequent adverse reactions and you may be experiencing one of them:

WARNINGS

Anaphylactoid and Possibly Related Reactions: Presumably because angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors affect the metabolism of eicosanoids and polypeptides, including endogenous bradykinin, patients receiving ACE inhibitors (including ramipril) may be subject to a variety of adverse reactions, some of the serious.

Head and Neck Angioedema: Patients with a history of angioedema unrelated to ACE inhibitor therapy may be at increased risk of angioedema while receiving an ACE inhibitor. (See also CONTRAINDICATIONS.)

Angioedema of the face, extremities, lips, tongue, glottis, and larynx has been reported in patients treated with angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors. Angioedema associated with laryngeal edema can be fatal. If laryngeal stridor or angioedema of the face, tongue, or glottis occurs, treatment with ramipril should be discontinued and appropriate therapy instituted immediately. When there is involvement of the tongue, glottis, or larynx, likely to cause airway obstruction, appropriate therapy, [e.g., subcutaneous epinephrine solution 1:1,000 (0.3 ml to 0.5 ml)] should be promptly administered. (See ADVERSE REACTIONS.)

angioedema
A condition marked by the development of edematous areas of skin, mucous membranes, or internal organs. It is frequently associated with urticaria (hives). It is benign when limited to the skin but can cause respiratory distress when present in the mouth, pharynx, or larynx. It is usually the result of a type I hypersensitivity reaction. Histamine released during an immunoglobin E antibody reaction to ingested allergens such as food or drugs causes vasodilation and increased vascular permeability, producing the characteristic nonpitting, nondependent swelling that distinguishes it from regular edema. The nonallergic forms of angioedema are hereditary angioedema, which is caused by a complement deficiency, and anaphylactoid reactions. SYN: angioneurotic edema. SEE: urticaria.
TREATMENT: Antihistamines are used first for immediate relief. Epinephrine is used if swelling of the upper airways compromises breathing.
"Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary," Copyright ? 2005 by F. A. Davis Co., Phil., PA

momof5

Uhmm, I think that I am glad that i stopped it.

My other question is, why now? I have been on this for a long time, since my heart failure a couple of years ago.

It was getting pretty bad which is why I stopped that first, it was the only difference in my world that I could think of at this point.

Not a very comfortable feelign either. And all those symptoms that you posted above were similar to what was happening to me.

I was going to post this a few days ago, sorry now that I didn't. I will make sure I let the doc know of this when I see him.
Thanks Doc, I appreciate it. Big time.

momof5

David Baxter said:
Try to see your doctor ASAP, Deb.

I didn 't like Altace either. I was switched to Micardis and for me that has been excellent.

I see him on the 11th, but I will make sure that I call tomorrow in regards to the reaction. On the 4th I was trying to think if I had gotten bit by a bug etc.. but it actually was before the 4th I was experienceing it, just kept getting worse.

I have been off for 2 days, still slight swelling in neck, but not like it was. It is actually bearable right now in comparison to what it was. Still weird taste in mouth, slight, and lips still slight numb, not like it was.

Promise to call dr in mornign when office opens.

Halo

Momof5, I just wanted to offer support and I hope that you get in to see your doctor soon. It doesn't sound very good to be having this reaction.

Take care and let us know how it turns out.

momof5

Thanks for your support Nancy. I really appreciate it.

I think if my life were normal, THEN I would think something was wrong ;)

Seriously, dr's office opens in the moring at 9am, so I'll call and let the dr know about it then. I will keep you updated on everything.

ThatLady

I'm very glad you're going to see your doctor about this, mom! The reactions you're describing can be VERY serious. They're not common, but they do happen and must be dealt with as quickly as possible. There are other medications that can be used.

Please keep us advised.

momof5

I will TL.

With all that I take I am very cautious, and when I experience something out of the ordinary, I am quick to asses things.

I first thought about bug bites, etc... But the length of it just didn't coincide with a bug bite, so it was on to what else it could be.

and with the switch to mail in prescritptions, and things changing around, not being on them for a while, its possilbe my system went into a change.

And since the Altace was the last one to arrive and all was ok before that, I sort of tried to narrow it down. heavy sigh.

ThatLady

Did you happen to notice if you were given a generic form of the medication this time? (I'm not sure if Altace even has a generic form, but generic forms can cause problems in some people. These people often do fine on the brand name product.)

momof5

No it is specifically Altace, there isn't a generic brand on it.

Only reason I know is that I had requested all generic's due to the new script plan, and doc stated altace did not yet have a generic.

It was a very long switch over process with this, took a couple of months with it. I had to report them to our Union Hall several times, of which one more is due (placing a charge on my cc without permission of which they won't refund. :mad:)

ThatLady

Have you contacted your credit card company about the unauthorized charge? I've had good luck that way in the past. The credit card companies try to help, if they can, since your business is important to them. :)

momof5

I plan on it tomorrow, I even have the email to the script company that told them to remove the charge, made sure I saved it. :D

foghlaim

Hi momof5: it sounds like you really been having a rough time of it... but you have very cleverly rooted out the cause, well done.. and i'm glad to hear you are taking the advice on ringing your doc about this. It doesn't sound right at all this reaction. I hope your doc can sort it out for you.

and do get onto the cc company, like TL says, they may be able to help stop the charges being applied when they clearly shouldn't be.

hope all goes well on both issues for you tomorow.

good luck and take care.

nsa

momof5

Saw doc and he took me off the altace. Said that with the metropol I could do without the altace.

He isn't sure what caused the reaction after taking it for so long.

The cc company. Not up to fighting them right now, too much else going on. I gave hubbie an ultimatum, either straighten out or get out. I am nto going to tolerate his behavour anymore. :mad:

ThatLady

Good for you, mom! It sounds like you're really putting up a fight to get your life in order! I do hope hubby gets the message and starts to make some effort to improve HIS end of things! :)

I've never had any problem dealing with a credit card company over bogus charges. I've just called and explained things to them and they've accomodated me without any argument or difficulty. When you feel you can, it's really not a lot of trouble.

momof5

I doubt that hubbie will get the message. I dont expect him to. Just put it all on the table.

Sad because as cruel as he can be, he can be just the opposite as well.

I'm tired of hearing how depressed he is and him not getting help for it. If it is that bad, then get help, turning to alcohol isn't going to solve anything, but make things worse. And like the commercial says, depression hurts not only him but everyone else.

ThatLady

momof5 said:
I doubt that hubbie will get the message. I dont expect him to. Just put it all on the table.

Sad because as cruel as he can be, he can be just the opposite as well.

I'm tired of hearing how depressed he is and him not getting help for it. If it is that bad, then get help, turning to alcohol isn't going to solve anything, but make things worse. And like the commercial says, depression hurts not only him but everyone else.

How very right you are! I hope he will get the message, but many do not. If he's one of those, then he's making his choice and the results will be his to live with. They don't have to be yours. :)

foghlaim

hi Mom of 5: I think you did right putting all the cards on the table.. and i agree with TL also. if he didn't listen and get the message.. then that's his choice entirely. sad tho as you say he can also be the opp of cruel. but most ppl can be like this too. Things just have to be pointed out to them, after that it's up to them. I say well done to you and I hope things work out for you.

nsa

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.