More threads by AMT

AMT

I'm 14 and have had thoughts of suicide for about 2 years now... i'm hardly eating or sleeping and im always feeling really sad and low on energy. even when good things happen it doesnt take much for me to go back to feeling really shitty. im pretty sure i am depressed but i just cant bring myself to telll my family or anything because im afraid theyll be angry or disappointed... the other week i just got completely overwhelmed by everything thats been going on and i started to slit my wrist... what should i do?

AMT

am i depressed...?

I'm 14 and have had thoughts of suicide for about 2 years now... i'm hardly eating or sleeping and im always feeling really sad and low on energy. even when good things happen it doesnt take much for me to go back to feeling really shitty. im pretty sure i am depressed but i just cant bring myself to telll my family or anything because im afraid theyll be angry or disappointed... the other week i just got completely overwhelmed by everything thats been going on and i started to slit my wrist... what should i do?

Heather

am i depressed...?

I think that even though you don;t want to tell your family that you need to tell someone if you are depressed and it is not treated it is a bad thing so please tell someone.

Heather...

Heather

am i depressed...?

I think that even though you don;t want to tell your family that you need to tell someone if you are depressed and it is not treated it is a bad thing so please tell someone.

Heather...

ThatLady

am i depressed...?

If you're feeling this way, tell your family, hon. They love you, and want what's best for you. Think of it this way: If someone you love comes to you and tells you they have a problem and need your help, are you going to be angry with them, or disappointed? Of course not! You're going to want to help! That's the way your family feels, too. We want to help those we love, but we can't unless they let us know what's going on with them.

ThatLady

am i depressed...?

If you're feeling this way, tell your family, hon. They love you, and want what's best for you. Think of it this way: If someone you love comes to you and tells you they have a problem and need your help, are you going to be angry with them, or disappointed? Of course not! You're going to want to help! That's the way your family feels, too. We want to help those we love, but we can't unless they let us know what's going on with them.

AMT

am i depressed...?

I know what you mean that its a bad thing going untreated, but i just cant do it... sometimes i feel i just can't go on but even then it feels like i'm incapable of telling them... my brain just plays endless scenarios of me telling them and them reacting badly to it. sometimes i just think im weak for being like this and that just makes me feel worse about myself... was it hard for all of you?

AMT

am i depressed...?

I know what you mean that its a bad thing going untreated, but i just cant do it... sometimes i feel i just can't go on but even then it feels like i'm incapable of telling them... my brain just plays endless scenarios of me telling them and them reacting badly to it. sometimes i just think im weak for being like this and that just makes me feel worse about myself... was it hard for all of you?

Banned

Banned
am i depressed...?

AMT,

I wasn't that much older than you (I was 14) when I first began having suicidal tendencies and feeling mighty depressed. I shrugged it off because I thought it was "normal". I thought everyone went through what I was going through. As a result, I didn't have any tools to cope with it, and so I shut down all together. It was a long, long time before I got some help for it, and when I look back, I see how many years of my life I lost being depressed and scared to tell anyone.

I can't urge you enough to talk to someone. If you're not comfortable talking to your parents on your own, is there a close friend or relative you could tell first and have that person be with you when you tell your parents? You might find that helps.

I'm 31 now and I've just started therapy again (for the third time). I'm tired of being depressed and having no will to live. It appears I'm not leaving this earth any time soon (that I'm aware of, anyway) and I don't want to lose any more years. I've found a fabulous therapist and he is not allowed to let me quit therapy :)

My point is - don't lose the most incredible years of your life to this like I did. Get some help now. It's available. People want to help you. I urge you to let them.

Banned

Banned
am i depressed...?

AMT,

I wasn't that much older than you (I was 14) when I first began having suicidal tendencies and feeling mighty depressed. I shrugged it off because I thought it was "normal". I thought everyone went through what I was going through. As a result, I didn't have any tools to cope with it, and so I shut down all together. It was a long, long time before I got some help for it, and when I look back, I see how many years of my life I lost being depressed and scared to tell anyone.

I can't urge you enough to talk to someone. If you're not comfortable talking to your parents on your own, is there a close friend or relative you could tell first and have that person be with you when you tell your parents? You might find that helps.

I'm 31 now and I've just started therapy again (for the third time). I'm tired of being depressed and having no will to live. It appears I'm not leaving this earth any time soon (that I'm aware of, anyway) and I don't want to lose any more years. I've found a fabulous therapist and he is not allowed to let me quit therapy :)

My point is - don't lose the most incredible years of your life to this like I did. Get some help now. It's available. People want to help you. I urge you to let them.

Shaymus

am i depressed...?

My advice is to tell them youd like to speak to psychologist and if they ask why say something about how you dont feel comfortable saying what it is. And then if they dont give in right away keep pushing. Be as vague as you feel comfortable with. If that doesnt work you might have to come out and say it.

It was very hard for me to tell my family as well. Altho it was hardly shocking to any of them im sure. I told my sister in email and let her tell my parents.

Shaymus

am i depressed...?

My advice is to tell them youd like to speak to psychologist and if they ask why say something about how you dont feel comfortable saying what it is. And then if they dont give in right away keep pushing. Be as vague as you feel comfortable with. If that doesnt work you might have to come out and say it.

It was very hard for me to tell my family as well. Altho it was hardly shocking to any of them im sure. I told my sister in email and let her tell my parents.

Heather

am i depressed...?

Hi again, I didn't actually tell my family and therefore I got very bad and had to fall a long way before I got help so yeah it was very hard but had I have told them it wouldn't have been as hard as it was, yeah it wouldn't have been easy but not as bad. Please tell someone.

Heather...

Heather

am i depressed...?

Hi again, I didn't actually tell my family and therefore I got very bad and had to fall a long way before I got help so yeah it was very hard but had I have told them it wouldn't have been as hard as it was, yeah it wouldn't have been easy but not as bad. Please tell someone.

Heather...

ThatLady

am i depressed...?

It's always hard to tell your family you're having problems coping. It feels like a failure, even though it isn't a failure. Giving people a chance to help you, especially those who love you, is giving those people a gift. Think how good you'd feel if someone came to you and asked for help. Then, apply that thought to the people you need to talk to. They'll feel the same way you do about it; honored that they're considered beloved and trusted, and can be of help and value. It's for real, hon.

ThatLady

am i depressed...?

It's always hard to tell your family you're having problems coping. It feels like a failure, even though it isn't a failure. Giving people a chance to help you, especially those who love you, is giving those people a gift. Think how good you'd feel if someone came to you and asked for help. Then, apply that thought to the people you need to talk to. They'll feel the same way you do about it; honored that they're considered beloved and trusted, and can be of help and value. It's for real, hon.

AMT

am i depressed...?

i think what ill do is tell my aunt and get her to tell my parents... i feel most comfortable talking to her... but what the hell do you say? "i think im depressed"? I just don't want to end up upsetting everyone- i feel bad as it is without having that on my conscience and im just completely lost for words...

AMT

am i depressed...?

i think what ill do is tell my aunt and get her to tell my parents... i feel most comfortable talking to her... but what the hell do you say? "i think im depressed"? I just don't want to end up upsetting everyone- i feel bad as it is without having that on my conscience and im just completely lost for words...

Lana

am i depressed...?

Hi AMT;
I can certainly understad why you feel uncomfortable speaking to your family about this. How about making an appointment to see your family doctor? He or she can refer you to a therapist that will be able to guide you through this period and help you talk with your parents. In some cases, he or she may ask that your parents are present during your sessions if and when you're ready. It will also give you ability to discuss any concerns you may have, freely and safely.

Lana

am i depressed...?

Hi AMT;
I can certainly understad why you feel uncomfortable speaking to your family about this. How about making an appointment to see your family doctor? He or she can refer you to a therapist that will be able to guide you through this period and help you talk with your parents. In some cases, he or she may ask that your parents are present during your sessions if and when you're ready. It will also give you ability to discuss any concerns you may have, freely and safely.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.