More threads by blackdogwalker

Hi everyone, I came across this board a couple of days ago whilst bumbling around the internet looking for psych support that is covered by provincial health insurance. (yeah, I know... > :rofl:)

Mid 40s married female, more of a cat person IRL but I have had the black dog snapping at my heels for most of my life. Hence the screen name.

Family doc finally gave it a name last week - "Dysthymia". Add to that body image and weight issues, minimal self esteem, issues around food, a bunch of sensitivities and more than a few Asperger's-like traits, it's about time I got a "check up from the neck up".:eek:

Have tried in the past, a disastrous bout with psychotherapy around age 20 and falling through the cracks of psychoeducation stuff at the local hospital. Have been running away from meds forever since the crusty old family doc gave me tranx at age 16 which I stopped after 3 days because I didn't want to be high and felt they wouldn't really solve anything anyways. They were promptly stolen by an experimentally-minded sibling... :mad: Tried a couple of alternative med approaches to but they only relieved me of some $$$, nothing else. :( But am so tired of all this stuff dragging me down that I am beginning to give serious thought to the pharma option.

Hope I can learn something from this site and maybe contribute too, who knows?

Retired

Glad you found us, BDW! Once you know its name, you are on the way to dealing with the disorder.

Hope you find Psychlinks informative and interesting..and even a little fun.

Banned

Banned
Welcome, bdw :)

As an FYI, I was extremely resistant to medication for treating my depression. I was bound and determined to try everything but. I ended up trying it, and it's been really helpful. Only you will know when you're ready and willing to give it a try, but I'm glad you're considering it. For me, it's literally been a lifesaver.

Thanks, turtle.
What really scares me is reading about the trial and error that may be involved, and the possibility of taking something that will make me gain even more weight. :eek:mg: Does anyone know if there is a way to minimize those risks? or does it really have to be t&e??

unionmary

:) Am I already liking your writing stlye, I sure hope you do stick around.

It is a wonderful place. I am proud to say that I have been promoted to a "senior" member already :D

btw educate me please, errrrr ummm, she says in her little voice, "what's a n00b?"

a n00b is a newbie, someone who is new to something and doesn't quite know the ropes yet. I believe it comes from the world of computer gaming, which is not something I am into but I have a kid who is, big time.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Thanks, turtle.
What really scares me is reading about the trial and error that may be involved, and the possibility of taking something that will make me gain even more weight. :eek:mg: Does anyone know if there is a way to minimize those risks? or does it really have to be t&e??

For many people, there is no trial and error needed. You may well find that the first one you try works, with no side-effects at all or only transient adaptation effects lasting a few days while your body gets accustomed to the medication.

For this reason, you doctor will often choose Cipralex (Lexapro in the US) because of the low probability of side-effects.

Alternatively, you could talk to your doctor about Wellbutrin. This isn't an SSRI and is less likely to cause weight gain. The downside is that, in my experience, on its own it doesn't work as well as an SSRI to treat depression.

Thanks, Dr Baxter. My family doc mentioned Celexa, I'm guessing it's different from the one you mentioned?
I'm planning to read up more on this, in one of the threads in the depression/dysthymia section a member mentioned 2 books (can't remember the titles off hand), but I checked and they are both in the local library system so I requested them :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Celexa and Cipralex/Lexapro are chemically similar but Cipralex has even fewer side-effects and potential drug interactions. That said, you might do fine with Celexa.

As I said, if weight gain is your primary concern, talk to the doctor about Wellbutrin or Prozac.

Thank you. I wish there was one with guaranteed side effect of weight loss! :eek: :rolleyes:
Will be checking out the relevant boards later on, don't want to overwhelm myself with lots of threads to follow right now...

a belated welcome, blackdogwalker. sorry to hear you're plagued by dysthymia. it literally sucks the life out of you. glad to hear you're giving meds another chance. there are newer ones on the market now since you were 16 and the anti-depressant i've been taking has had minimal side effects. they don't solve your issues but they do make you strong enough to be able to work on them, and that is what matters. keep trying and hang in there. :tiphat:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.