More threads by Heather

Heather

OK I am going to ask the most stupid question, but how bad would it be to take anti-depressants that are a month out of date?

Heather...

P.S. I haven't btw but my flat mate has some and wants to take them and I am worried about it, but she can't afford to get new ones...

Heather

OK I am going to ask the most stupid question, but how bad would it be to take anti-depressants that are a month out of date?

Heather...

P.S. I haven't btw but my flat mate has some and wants to take them and I am worried about it, but she can't afford to get new ones...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Good question. The best before date for medications usually refers to potency, I believe. I don't think they suddenly become toxic the next day or anything like that.

Not that I'd recommend taking expired medication... especially in the case of anti-depressants: If one is going to benefit from those, they need to be taken over a period of at least several weeks to a few months.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Good question. The best before date for medications usually refers to potency, I believe. I don't think they suddenly become toxic the next day or anything like that.

Not that I'd recommend taking expired medication... especially in the case of anti-depressants: If one is going to benefit from those, they need to be taken over a period of at least several weeks to a few months.

Retired

Expiry dates on medication are based on stability tests performed by the manufacturer and the data generally has to be filed with the regulatory body of the Country in which the medication is sold.

Regulations on stability and expiry dates vary from one Country to another, so there may be no definitive answer.

Stability of most medications is assured for various periods of time, depending on the compound and many anti depressants can be dated two to three years from manufacture.

Usually the effectiveness of the medication does not drop off on the expiry date, but I would suggest calling your local pharmacist for a professional opinion based on the actual medication you have.

My intuition would be that one month past expiry would not have significantly reduced effectiveness, but stability and safety could be compromised as you get further past that date.

Are there public clinics in your area where your friend might be able to get some meds?

Some pharmaceutical companies have assistance programs to help people who cannot afford their medications. Contact the manufacturer in your Country and ask if they have such a program available.

Retired

Expiry dates on medication are based on stability tests performed by the manufacturer and the data generally has to be filed with the regulatory body of the Country in which the medication is sold.

Regulations on stability and expiry dates vary from one Country to another, so there may be no definitive answer.

Stability of most medications is assured for various periods of time, depending on the compound and many anti depressants can be dated two to three years from manufacture.

Usually the effectiveness of the medication does not drop off on the expiry date, but I would suggest calling your local pharmacist for a professional opinion based on the actual medication you have.

My intuition would be that one month past expiry would not have significantly reduced effectiveness, but stability and safety could be compromised as you get further past that date.

Are there public clinics in your area where your friend might be able to get some meds?

Some pharmaceutical companies have assistance programs to help people who cannot afford their medications. Contact the manufacturer in your Country and ask if they have such a program available.

Heather

Thanks TSOW

I am not sure that we have that program available as I have never heard of it here but I will look into it, she just doesn't want to go off the meds until she can afford to buy some. And the ones I am on are completely different to hers and I am broke as well! We normally get them for really cheap but the card that allows her to do that is out of date, so that is the next thing to do!

Heather...

Heather

Thanks TSOW

I am not sure that we have that program available as I have never heard of it here but I will look into it, she just doesn't want to go off the meds until she can afford to buy some. And the ones I am on are completely different to hers and I am broke as well! We normally get them for really cheap but the card that allows her to do that is out of date, so that is the next thing to do!

Heather...

Retired

Pharmaceutical companies usually have toll free telephone numbers, so you can call them without charge.

Check their website where you can usually link to the Country or Region in which you live. There you will probably find a "contact us" link. It won't take long to get info, and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Get your card renewed and call your pharmacist, who, incidentally may know if the manufacturer has the assistance program available.

You are quite right in not sharing your medications, because different compounds act differently in each person which can make matters worse.

Also keep in mind that your friend should not suddenly stop taking her medications, and if there is a real supply crisis, she should keep a few in order to taper the dosage to avoid potential withdrawl effects.

Her physician should be called to advise him/her of the situation...maybe the physician can help.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Retired

Pharmaceutical companies usually have toll free telephone numbers, so you can call them without charge.

Check their website where you can usually link to the Country or Region in which you live. There you will probably find a "contact us" link. It won't take long to get info, and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Get your card renewed and call your pharmacist, who, incidentally may know if the manufacturer has the assistance program available.

You are quite right in not sharing your medications, because different compounds act differently in each person which can make matters worse.

Also keep in mind that your friend should not suddenly stop taking her medications, and if there is a real supply crisis, she should keep a few in order to taper the dosage to avoid potential withdrawl effects.

Her physician should be called to advise him/her of the situation...maybe the physician can help.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Heather

Thanks I will do that, I will try and contact them, but we are at present trying to borrow money I think we will be successful, I am too scared to let her take them to be honest.

The other thing is that some chemists allow you to have accounts so I may be able to get the meds and put it on the account.

Heather...

Heather

Thanks I will do that, I will try and contact them, but we are at present trying to borrow money I think we will be successful, I am too scared to let her take them to be honest.

The other thing is that some chemists allow you to have accounts so I may be able to get the meds and put it on the account.

Heather...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.